WotC So, when do the announce the July book? Guesses on what it'll be? 🤔

TheSword

Legend
Been looking at his wikipedia profile, but he appeared to write for Dungeoncraft I think its called?
Anybody else know what stuff he's bene involved in d&d wise?
Well Dungeoncraft was an amazing worldbuilding and adventure writing series which I believe was reincarnated into a 3e handbook for worldbuilding. I think there is definitely space for that.

He also wrote about two settings in that blog. One was a dinosaur lost world setting. The other was a forest planet.

I don’t think he did a lot of lead writing though. Maybe it’s something from his home games.

I thought that was Candlekeep Mysteries (not that it was all women, but it was diverse, new voices).
That’s possible, but the rumors from a while back included details about specific contributors (Deborah Ann Woll, for one) who didn’t show up in CM. Maybe the rumors were wrong, or maybe those authors’ contributions were cut, but I’ve been assuming these were two separate products, perhaps in part because “all women creators” just seems like the kind of PR buzz WotC would love to create, especially now (and understandably so, as such a book would get a ton of presumably positive mainstream press at a time when the company needs that kind of press, specifically pertaining to identity politics).

But the initial rumors are quite old now, much older than the 14 month lead time typical for 5e books. On the other hand, I can easily imagine such a book being the kind of thing WotC would allow a longer gestation period for, especially given Welch’s departure during that time.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
HOW MUCH INPUT DOES HASBRO HAVE INTO THE D&D PRODUCT LINEUP?

None. Wizards of the Coast is fully autonomous. We work with Hasbro on various administrative matters, and Hasbro greenlights any particularly large investments we make (like acquiring another company or developing a AAA video game), but we otherwise own our own product roadmaps and make all the relevant development decisions. We do occasionally collaborate with Hasbro on special projects like the Dungeons & Dragons Adventure Begins or the Drizzt and Guenhwyvar action figures.

I really hope this part of the article lays to rest all of the "D&D with Transformers!" stuff that crops up here...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I really hope this part of the article lays to rest all of the "D&D with Transformers!" stuff that crops up here...
As I recall, the My Little Pony and other Hasbro games built on the D&D chassis were actually announced by Hasbro, although without firm dates attached.

It's up to you, of course, as to whether you want them to cross over with your games, but I bet a lot of people will. (My eight year old is now too cool for the My Little Pony Tales of Equestria game, but I think she will have a hard time not being delighted if her character ends up falling through a planar portal to a world inhabited by talking ponies.)

Rikka66

Adventurer
His Dungeoncraft columns were wonderful. If the new product was an expanded guide to dungeons and campaign-building, built around his columns, that would be a must-buy for me.

An interesting tidbit to this is that James Wyatt wrote his own series of Dungeoncraft articles for 4e. Call that my longshot prediction for "improved version of concept that I initiated".

Quickleaf

Legend
Been looking at his wikipedia profile, but he appeared to write for Dungeoncraft I think its called?
Anybody else know what stuff he's bene involved in d&d wise?
Ray Winninger? I know he wrote Giantcraft for AD&D. It's a great exploration of giant culture.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
An interesting tidbit to this is that James Wyatt wrote his own series of Dungeoncraft articles for 4e. Call that my longshot prediction for "improved version of concept that I initiated".
Seems pretty plausible, really: would explain some of the oddities of the recent UA.

Remove ads