So where are you now?

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Now that 4th edition is gone, Next is coming up and Pathfinder is blazing the trails. Where are you now? Are you gearing up for D&D Next, or knee deep in Pathfinder, maybe still playing 4th edition with no plans of switching? Could you be pulling out all those old 1st and 2nd edition D&D books and giving them a go? Hell, maybe you are taking a step back from medieval style games and going to something else. Shadowrun perhaps?

Also, what are your reasons?

I'm fully entrenched in Pathfinder as we speak and I keep looking to Next, but I fell like I'm still waiting to feel the pull and I'm not getting it. I've even thought about trying some of the clones or even going back to the old skool stuff.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The last year or two for me (since ending our 4E WotBS campaign a couple of years ago) has been:

1) 6-ish month Pathfinder campaign (aborted)
2) 6-ish month Traveller campaign (aborted)
3) 3-4 month FASA Star Trek campaign (aborted)
4) Current WFRPG campaign

There were a couple of D&D Next playtest sessions near the beginning, but my group refuses to play them now. I hope we'll return to some variation of D&D/Pathfinder at some point.

Starfox

Hero
I'd say I am mired in Pathfinder. A lot of it is good, but the total weight of the system is getting heavy. Pathfinder also puts a bit much energy into defining the new hot stuff and too little in making sure basics, like the Stealth skill, really works.

The alternatives right now are my homebrew (1 of 2 weekly games uses this), Maid, and possibly Fate. 5E is on the horizon but still much to clouded to feel "real".

It feels like the DnD idea of defining specifics about things like spells, classes, and powers is running aground on the diversity players want. A system gets heavier and heavier as you add options. Even if you keep system complexity down, emergent complexity rears it's ugly head. We want something simpler. The opposite approach of "make your own powers" idea of Mage and Fate leads to slow play. It is a bit of a conundrum.

My group has two 4e campaigns. We've finished Pathfinder; while we generally like playing it, the campaign ended and the DM seems burned out and would rather run something else. We usually have another game (right now Strands of FATE) going as well.

We playtested D&DN once, and the experience was so negative we won't do it again.

Mercurius

Legend
My group, which ran an on-and-off 4E campaign for about three years, has been on hiatus for almost a year - mainly because I'm too busy to DM. I've been getting the itch, however, and have a bit more time in my schedule come January, so I'm gradually working on a new campaign and will probably run Next, with the hope that (having not read the playtest package) there's enough there to get us through until the actual game comes out (hopefully later in 2014).

I considered going back to 4E but was tired of the grind and general feel of it. I also considered running Pathfinder, and even bought the Runelords book, but decided the game is just too heavy and not the direction I want to go in. So I'm putting my chips on Next and hoping for the best.

n00bdragon

First Post
Do sci-fi games with FATE and getting a little frustrated with the lack of crunch. Sadly, there are no good crunchy sci-fi games so on the side I'm messing around with some homebrew ideas that I regularly subject my group to.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I'll run 3e (or whatever you call my d20 mishmash) if I have the time, while experimenting with CoC, Cortex, and possibly other things. I've got a lot on my plate now and nothing on the rpg market really interests me much. I'm plenty satisfied going to new places creatively rather than mechanically.

MJS

First Post
I am:

- playing in an AD&D campaign that's been going 20+ years
- running a new O/AD&D game with no race/class/level limits
- playing CoC and Pathfinder on rare occasions

delericho

Legend
Just started a SWSE campaign that is likely to last a year or so. After that, I'll probably be running "Black Crusade" for a while.

I don't currently have any plans to play D&D again any time soon. Any version. Or Pathfinder, for that matter.

Iosue

Legend
Still playing 4e, when schedule allows. Still running a B/X game, as well. Gearing up for Next will only begin when it approaches release. I like the game itself, but don't really want to regularly game with the playtest documents.

Remove ads