D&D (2024) So Will 'OneD&D' (6E) Actually Be Backwards Compatible?

Will OD&D Be Backwards Compatible?

• Yes

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 41.2%

Clint_L

Hero
DDB has what? A few million subscribers? A good chunk of those are free accounts to get info, made a free account and just don't use it, or who use the DM's stuff for free. Meanwhile there are an estimated 50 million D&D players out there.

DDB is a very small fraction of D&D players. The vast majority are pen and pencil tabletop players. Saying DDB will make it easy is a Red Herring. The focus needs to be on the tabletop players.
First, that 50 million number was vague, unsourced, and specifically referred to the entire lifespan of D&D, not current users.

Secondly, DDB has 15million or so accounts, and several millions of paid subscribers. And growing fast. You are kidding yourself if you don't think it's where D&D already is.

Edit: WotC aren't going to call it "OneD&D" either. They are going to call it "D&D." You can insist that it is really 5.5e or 6.0e or Strawberry Vanilla e or whatever you want.

Loren the GM

Adventurer
Publisher
No, absolutely not.

Windows PCs are uniquely crappy here. That's the issue. In other situations where backwards compatibility is claimed it's usually either genuinely seamless, or extremely low effort (but is rarely claimed as universal).
Absolutely yes. That is how Windows works, and it is the most used OS in the world.

Point being, Windows is not incorrect to claim backwards compatibility. The end user experience isn't always great, and yes, it might be a crappy OS (hello from my Mac!). But it is backwards compatible.

Whether you like how WotC implements backwards compatibility, being completely seamless and require no effort on the part of the end user isn't a requirement for it to be compatible.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
First, that 50 million number was vague, unsourced, and specifically referred to the entire lifespan of D&D, not current users.

Secondly, DDB has 15million or so accounts, and several millions of paid subscribers. And growing fast. You are kidding yourself if you don't think it's where D&D already is.

Edit: WotC aren't going to call it "OneD&D" either. They are going to call it "D&D." You can insist that it is really 5.5e or 6.0e or Strawberry Vanilla e or whatever you want.
First, the article I read was as of January of 2023, not the older article you are referencing. Second, as of April of 2022 there were 10 million DDB accounts, a huge number of which don't pay. Only the DM needs the books and a large number are just free accounts that haven't shut down, are there for the playtest, etc.

Even if every one of those 10 million accounts paid, though, it still wouldn't equal what they make from physical books. The highest account is less than $60 a year and books are 40% cheaper, AND there are fewer accounts than hard copy players without account AND D&D beyond users by hard copy books, too.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
Even if every one of those 10 million accounts paid, though, it still wouldn't equal what they make from physical books. The highest account is less than $60 a year and books are 40% cheaper, AND there are fewer accounts than hard copy players without account AND D&D beyond users by hard copy books, to0.
Books have about a 50% markup, so WotC gets maybe $15 per book (there are plenty of books that cost $30 or less on Amazon and are actually cheaper than the DDB version). They make more per digital book on DDB than per physical book...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Books have about a 50% markup, so WotC gets maybe $15 per book (there are plenty of books that cost $30 or less on Amazon and are actually cheaper than the DDB version). They make more per digital book on DDB than per physical book...
There are still a metric crapton more physical books sold than electronic ones.

mamba

Legend
There are still a metric crapton more physical books sold than electronic ones.
to the detriment of WotC’s bottom line.

I assume they still sell more books than files, but I have no idea by how much. I doubt you do either, but if you do, some source would be great

What is a metric ton more? 10 times as many? 2 to 3 times as many? I very much doubt they manage the former and assume they fall somewhere in the lower half of the latter. Not what I would call a metric ton…

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don’t think that’s a fair comparison, the DM is a human being at the table, not a machine. I mean, by that logic, third edition would be backwards compatible with 1e and 2e. And 4e would be backwards compatible with 3e, etc. And 5e would be backwards compatible with 4e, all previous editions of dnd, and perhaps even scrabble, chess and monopoly. As long as the DM is slaving away to make it possible, that is!
It's an analogy: humans replace machines in applying math, or code, for tabletop applications.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
to the detriment of WotC’s bottom line.

I assume they still sell more books than files, but I have no idea by how much. I doubt you do either, but if you do, some source would be great
We know the following.

1. There are more people who aren't on D&D Beyond that are.
2. We know that D&D Beyond sees many, if not most groups use the DM's books, so most subscribers do not buy, or do not buy much.
3. We know that D&D Beyond has many dead accounts. Those accounts who use DMs books, made an account and then stopped going to the site, and those who are just there for the playtest and free content.
4. We know that many, if not most of those on D&D Beyond also buy hard copies of books.

While we don't know the exact difference in numbers, it's pretty clear that hard copies make them more money right now. I also doubt that they can force people around the world to join D&D Beyond by ceasing production of hard copies, nor do I think that they will try that. They might be able to squeeze more money out of those who subscribe though attractive offers, but whether those would eclipse what they make on hard copies isn't known.

mamba

Legend
We know the following.

1. There are more people who aren't on D&D Beyond that are.
from what I hear it's about 50% of players

2. We know that D&D Beyond sees many, if not most groups use the DM's books, so most subscribers do not buy, or do not buy much.
the same is true for physical books

3. We know that D&D Beyond has many dead accounts. Those accounts who use DMs books, made an account and then stopped going to the site, and those who are just there for the playtest and free content.
agreed, no idea what percentage that is

4. We know that many, if not most of those on D&D Beyond also buy hard copies of books.
agreed, many seem to buy twice

While we don't know the exact difference in numbers, it's pretty clear that hard copies make them more money right now.
agreed, which is why I put the number to around 2-3 times as many physical book. Just was wondering if you had any actual numbers ;)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
from what I hear it's about 50% of players

the same is true for physical books
Not in my experience. I've played with hundreds of players and maybe 1% had no books at all, and most have multiple player facing books in addition to the PHB like Xanathar's and Tasha's.
agreed, which is why I put the number to around 2-3 times as many physical book. Just was wondering if you had any actual numbers ;)
I don't think anyone has hard numbers. I would estimate 4-5 times, though. Not anywhere close to the 10x in your other post, but I think higher than 2-3.

Remove ads