Votes: 53 89.8%
  • Yes, worth playing as a group

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • No, it's not worth it

Votes: 5 8.5%

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
So as someone who's never played Solasta, what approach do they take with non-OGL subclasses? Do they write their own? Cos there's a lot of OGL material out there. Kobold Press has a load at Home - KPOGL for instance. If i'm a moderately prominent 3pp I'd be doing my best to get in their ears and get my stuff in their game, to be honest.
They created their own and also have contests where they ask the community to submit subclasses and then implement the winning ones into the game.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
And, having now perused their custom subclasses and feats, just like in the source material, 90% of the options are useless trash and there's only a handful of good ones.
Very respectfully put..... If you want to play as close to 5e as possible, this is it. Some options are certainly better than others....

As a combat simulator, Solasta is actually pretty good. I love the way they use One Click Resolution for a lot of tasks like crawling, climbing, knocking things over, picking locks, etc. Baldur's Gate 3 could take a hint from this Quality Of Life improvement.

As a story, it's about on par with the old Gold Box games and nothing to write home about. Notably, the first campaign is VERY bare bones but serviceable while the second one is more intricate but still not going to win any awards.

I honestly think a strong point is the dedicated modding community who are making very nice recreations of classic dungeons.

For the most part, it's a very faithful representation of 5E to the extent that a computer game can do so. They do have some custom archetypes and feats, but you don't have to use any of those if you don't want. As a whole, I enjoyed the game for what it is and I was happy to give them my money in the hopes that they make an even better Solasta 2.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
As a combat simulator, Solasta is actually pretty good. I love the way they use One Click Resolution for a lot of tasks like crawling, climbing, knocking things over, picking locks, etc. Baldur's Gate 3 could take a hint from this Quality Of Life improvement.

As a story, it's about on par with the old Gold Box games and nothing to write home about. Notably, the first campaign is VERY bare bones but serviceable while the second one is more intricate but still not going to win any awards.

I honestly think a strong point is the dedicated modding community who are making very nice recreations of classic dungeons.

For the most part, it's a very faithful representation of 5E to the extent that a computer game can do so. They do have some custom archetypes and feats, but you don't have to use any of those if you don't want. As a whole, I enjoyed the game for what it is and I was happy to give them my money in the hopes that they make an even better Solasta 2.
If the mods had more mapping options, I'd love it more. The two I've played were fine. I agree, it's best as an encounter game.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
If the mods had more mapping options, I'd love it more. The two I've played were fine. I agree, it's best as an encounter game.
The new DLC is supposed to have more options (including overland travel). I can't wait to see the mods that come out in a month or two.

No no, I just find it funny that they choose to be so faithful even when making their own stuff up.
They do tinker with some stuff around the edges. Sorcerers all get free spells, Berserkers get a con save to avoid fatigue, The Battle domain improves on the War domain, they have a strength rogue subclass, their battlemasterish fighter subclass is better than the Purple Dragon Knight, etc.

But there is also some really weird stuff, like a tree patron for warlocks.

Remove ads