D&D 5E Solasta - is it worth playing?

Is Solasta worth playing?

• Yes, worth playing solo

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • Yes, worth playing as a group

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • No, it's not worth it

Votes: 5 8.5%

I played the original game for a while. I found it enjoyable, but the devs had some really weird interpretations on some of the rules that annoyed me a lot like that I couldn't target creatures that I cannot see. They didn't follow the errata and especially not Jeremy's Sage Advice. And even if you stretched and say the rules could be interpreted that way, why interpret things in a way that makes the game less fun to play?
I tried to explain some of the rules to the devs but they didn't listen.

Also the game unfortunately only includes freely accessible D&D 5e stuff, so many spells and class traits are missing.

I got tired of the game at around the 20 hour mark, but it was still fun until then, so I think it's worth a try.

That's standard 5e rules for most spells. Targeting things you can't see is the "weird interpretation"!
No that's wrong.

The base rules for spellcasting only require a clear path to the target, it even specifies what happens if you target a point you can't see. Nowhere it says that you need to see a target to target it with a spell.

So only spells that specifically say "a creature you can see" require sight.

This is also confirmed by Jeremy in Sage Advice.
To quote him:
"A spell tells you if you must see its targets."
"The clear-path rule is about there being a path clear of total cover. It's not about visibility."

The base rules for spellcasting only require a clear path to the target, it even specifies what happens if you target a point you can't see. Nowhere it says that you need to see a target to target it with a spell.
Yes it does, in most spell descriptions.

But how is a character supposed to target something if they don't know where it is? Targeting something your character can't see is metagaming.

The Slow spell, the one being discussed, in Solasta targets an area (as it does in every other CRPG implementation of D&D rules). So long as you can see the target point for the cube, it will affect enemies in the AoE, even if you can't see them.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Yes it does, in most spell descriptions.

But how is a character supposed to target something if they don't know where it is? Targeting something your character can't see is metagaming.

The Slow spell, the one being discussed, in Solasta targets an area (as it does in every other CRPG implementation of D&D rules). So long as you can see the target point for the cube, it will affect enemies in the AoE, even if you can't see them.
There is a bit of weirdness with targeting, but it's not what you can see. It's where you can walk. This is a limitation of the game engine though, not a rules implementation.

There are times when you can't walk somewhere. Based on the art it looks like a pit or some terrain feature that would block movement but should be a valid point for targeting a spell.

But I guarantee that targets that you can't see get hit all the time if you have an AOE spell.

I think what gets some people is they can't cope with is Solasta actually implementing lighting rules. If you have 60 ft. darkvision you can't see something that is more than 60 ft. away (unless it is illuminated).

But you can get round the walkable square issue if you target the air (you can toggle 3D targeting on and off on the minimap). I use this a lot. Fireball AoE too big? Cast it over the targets' heads.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
I think what gets some people is they can't cope with is Solasta actually implementing lighting rules. If you have 60 ft. darkvision you can't see something that is more than 60 ft. away (unless it is illuminated).

But you can get round the walkable square issue if you target the air (you can toggle 3D targeting on and off on the minimap). I use this a lot. Fireball AoE too big? Cast it over the targets' heads.

I was today days old when I learned that trick. You still can't target absolutely everywhere, for example I have a room that I can't target above a table but if I turn the horizontal plane off I can center on an area I can't walk. But I was able to target over other non-walkable areas. Thanks.

Yeah. There are a lot of benefits to everyone in the party having Darkvision so you can ignore many of the illumination rules in Solasta, but it's easy to forget Darkvision is only 12 squares.

Oofta

Legend
Yeah. There are a lot of benefits to everyone in the party having Darkvision so you can ignore many of the illumination rules in Solasta, but it's easy to forget Darkvision is only 12 squares.

You can get a ring of darkvision in case you're, oh, I don't know, replaying the base game and don't realize you accidentally selected human for your paladin instead of half elf like you had intended. After you've already replayed more than you want to redo of course. Not that I would be dumb enough to do that, but in theory it could happen. :(

Remove ads