• Yes, worth playing solo

Votes: 53 89.8%
  • Yes, worth playing as a group

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • No, it's not worth it

Votes: 5 8.5%

Libertad

Hero
I streamed the main Crown of the Magister campaign and played through the Lost Valley twice. It's my opinion that LV is better, although in its initial release it had a lot of errors and glitches. The current release is a lot better, but certain endings are still locked out due to glitches so save often and in multiple slots.

The main campaign is pretty straightforward and simple, and it's major emphasis is being able to play what is basically the most authentic "5th Edition experience" as a video game. But the main campaign is also the weakest of them IMO, although you should still play it as it introduces some concepts and tutorials that aren't in the other campaigns. For instance, it adds a crafting system that isn't available in the tabletop rules.

Much like actual tabletop 5th Edition, I highly recommend checking out the modded campaigns. Some highly regarded ones are the Temple of Elemental Evil which is a pretty faithful conversion of the original module, and Through the Realm of Mysts is pretty much copyright-friendly Ravenloft. These are both ones I played, and thus can recommend.

Finally, I highly recommend Unfinished Business. It's a mod that more or less converts all of the non-OGL core WotC material into the system, and it's still getting updates to this day.

For people without a prior relationship with the 5e rules set it is a pretty middle of the road crpg.
There’s the rub for us. The two other guys have never played D&D and created their characters before asking me to join them. Basically, they created 2 melee fighters and a sorcerer, all humans. They left town with minimum ammo. My character is a human cleric, so secondary on offense.

Basically, the party isn’t min-maxed and has no darkvision, so we’re overmatched unless we start new characters.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I've seen is significantly cheaper. I would shop around/wait for a sale.
As I mentioned before, I'd only have to pay the equivalent to $20, which is fairly cheap, and way less than what I will need to pay to get one of the reaction dolls from the other thread.

Kingmaker is good and all, but it does show up that that 3rd edition D&D combat is worse than 5e D&D combat.
I love 3.5 still.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
The producers of Solasta have just announced their next DLC, Palace of Ice, coming in May 2023.
This will add more environments, spells, and monsters to the game, as well as teiflings and gnomes. It will increase the level support to level 16 (!). For the Dungeon Maker, custom creators will be able to set locations on the Solasta world map and use the travel and random encounter system in custom dungeons just like the official campaigns do. Dungeon creators will also be able to create NPCs that can join the party, just like in the official games. This one looks to add a great deal of cool ;) stuff.

I've only played the main campaign and made an attempt at Lost Valley. The first was playable, the second, I couldn't get more than a couple of hours in before I gave up. Has anyone found worthwhile homebrewed campaigns?

The producers of Solasta have just announced their next DLC, Palace of Ice, coming in May 2023.
This will add more environments, spells, and monsters to the game, as well as teiflings and gnomes. It will increase the level support to level 16 (!). For the Dungeon Maker, custom creators will be able to set locations on the Solasta world map and use the travel and random encounter system in custom dungeons just like the official campaigns do. Dungeon creators will also be able to create NPCs that can join the party, just like in the official games. This one looks to add a great deal of cool ;) stuff.
1678477866710.png

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I've only played the main campaign and made an attempt at Lost Valley. The first was playable, the second, I couldn't get more than a couple of hours in before I gave up. Has anyone found worthwhile homebrewed campaigns?
I am playing through Interdimensional Escalations right now, and it is very good. The author has found some clever ways within the limits of the game to introduce some minor branching based on choices and/or skill checks (including ones the game does not officially support, like Animal Handling and Intimidation). And it has some challenging fights.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases