Psion

Adventurer
Kzach said:
4e will destroy D&D!

4e will ruin the hobby!

4e is an abomination that won't sell!

Darn. Don't you just hate being wrong?

Who's "you" in this scenario?

That being said, #'s 1 and 2 are things that hypothetically happen sometime AFTER the game is, you know, released. Which, by my watch, is still a week off.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
That's great for presales...

Although once folks open the books and see what's inside, well, hopefully the stores will accept returns. ;)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm a believer in "trickle-down gaming." Anything that brings more gamers to the paper and pencil is a good thing, because those gamers are later on going to wander off and want something new, and Older Editions of D&D (such as OD&D and AD&D1) are going to be as new to them as anything else. In fact, the mechanics that hearken back to older editions of D&D will be more familiar to them than the mechanics of 3e will, honestly!

So, say 100,000 new gamers come to 4e. They like it, the play, they start getting bored after a while.

of that 100,000, say 1% start hearing about AD&D, and talk to others on the internet about giving it a try. That's a thousand people who never had an interest in Pen and Paper gaming before, who got brought in by WotC.

Now, say a million gamers do this. That's 10,000 new hobbyists who have never heard of AD&D before, but are exposed to Pen and Paper gaming. 10,000 people that AD&D would have never been able to reach before other than by word of mouth.

So a new D&D that is a rave success is a good thing for every PNP gamer, in my opinion.

Remove ads