• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sold through already

Henry said:
I'm a believer in "trickle-down gaming."

:)

I agree. When I worked retail we really focused on "Category Management" which basically meant that the store worked with (for example) all the Beer distributors, and they all worked together to sell more beer. If more beer gets sold, everyone gets more.

Same with Gaming - 3rd ed was huge in the industry, and so many other game companies did well while it was riding high (including ones that did no D20 products) just because there was so much renewed interest in RPGs, and people trying D&D and decided to try other things as well.

"Rising waters raise all boats". I hope that WotC continues to do very well for that reason. :)

Running out of physical books sure won't discourage acgquiring the pdfs. WotC should probably get on that market quickly (meaning sell legit pdfs). It seems that this would be a quicker tactic than printing/shipping physical books. But considering that they have already run out, and they technically haven't sold more than a couple of books, they still have a few days to fix this situation. For their sake and their anti-pdf policy, I hope they get it together quick.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
As long as my preorder arrives, that's good news! ;)

And definitively proves that the hobby is not dead. Regardless what you think of 4E, it means that there are a lot of RPGamer out there. That is good, definitively.

Cheers, LT.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Mouseferatu said:
The article doesn't give specific numbers (which doesn't surprise me; I can't imagine any major company releasing that). But it does say the initial print run was 50% bigger than the 3.5 core run.
Any RPG company, maybe. In other industries, companies trip over themselves to brag about selling out, including precise numbers.

Xsjado

First Post
Not always. Valve, for example, have never released precise numbers for online sales, despite the numbers being astronomical considering the general popularity of said games.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
4e will destroy D&D!

4e will ruin the hobby!

4e is an abomination that won't sell!

Darn. Don't you just hate being wrong?

To be fair, everything except "that won't sell" can be pretty subjective, and remains in place regardless of how much 4e sells.

...and chanting that 4e wouldn't sell is...well...come the heck on, of COURSE it would sell.

Remove ads