• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Solider Class need help balancing

Gaiseric23

First Post
Hello. This is my second time I have posted on this site and I need help balancing a homebrew class that I made basing it off of the Solider class from Final Fantasy 7.

Soldier

Hit Dice d10
Hit dice at first level 10 + Constitution mod
Hit dice after first level 1d10 or (6) + constitution mod
All armor and shield
Simple and martial weapons

Saving throws:Strength, Charisma

Starting equipment
a). One martial weapon and shield or b).two martial weapons
a).Scale mail or b.) chain mail
One magic orb
Two simple weapons
Dungeoneering pack or explorer's pack

At level one as you choice this class you can wield an oversized weapon with two hands and a two handed weapon in one hand without suffering any penalties. You also have one weapon that you can call you own. This weapon was forged using a metal from a meteor and can only be lifted by you. At level 3 you gain a +1 to hit with the weapon that you own

At level 2 you gain the ability to draw upon the magic that runs through your veins. you gain the ability to cast a powerful ability called limit break. This Ability can be changed as the campaign goes on as you learn how to enhance your abilities. You can use this ability as many times as your strength modifier.

The first limit break that you get is called, Cross Slash. With this ability you deal two weapon damage and a third if you crit. It would require your target to make a Wisdom save or they will be frightened of you for one minute. You can upgrade your Limit Break at level 6,17, and 20. You can use limit breakers as many times as your Strength modifier. You can change your limit breaker after a long rest provided you have the level for the limit break. You will have to wait three rounds before using this technique again.

At Level three you get to choose from an Archetype. Materia User or Pure Soldier

At Level 4 you gain an ability score improvement. You gain another at 8,12,16,19

At Level 5 you can use your action to attack twice.

At level 6 you can trade out your Cross slash for a new limit breaker called ClimHazzard. This attack will arch to an enemy that is five feet away from the intended target. The damage dice on this attack is three weapon dice and then 2 weapon dice for the enemy that is five feet away. The damage is halved if the target and the targets make a dex saving throw against your Save DC. You will have to wait 4 rounds before using this technique again.

At level 9 you can now use the spell Stoneskin. You can only use this once per day.

At level 11, as a bonus action you can cast haste upon your self. This can only be used once per day

At Level 17, you gain the limit breaker Meteorain. You can use this limit breaker to summon a swarm of meteors upon your opponents. The opponent need to make a dex save and if they make it they take half damage. The damage for this attack is 10d6. The range for this attack is 60 feet and it has a 30 foot radius. You will have to wait five rounds of combat before using this attack.

At level 20 you gain the ability to use the last and final limit break Omnislash level 6. When you use this limit breaker you deal 6d12 plus 4 weapon damage. If you crit while using this you can reroll two weapon damage.You will have to wait six rounds of combat before you can use this attack again.

Archetype one. Materia user

At level 3 when you choose this archetype you gain the ability to fly for 60 feet. This lasts for one minute and you regain the ability to fly again after a short rest.

At level 3 you can cast spells through your sword as you use the Sorcerer spells. You gain a spell new spell at level 8 14 and 20. You gain a two cantrips at level 3 and more as you level up. The highest level spell that you can cast is a level 5. You regain you spell slots after a long rest.

At level 7 you gain the ability to create a beam of energy that is strong enough to break through solid rock and metal with ease. To use this ability you have to charge your attack for one round and then fire it at the intended target. If the target maked a Dex save versus your saving throw which is strength + 8 + your proficiency mod, they will take 3d12 necrotic or force damage as well as your weapon damage. If the saving throw is made this will cause the attack to do half damage. This can only be used once per long rest.

At level 10 when you cast a cantrip you can make a weapon action as a bonus action.

At level 16, you can now use a magic orb as a bonus action. Depending on the orb that you can use it to empower your weapon to deal your weapon damage plus 1d8 orb damage.

At level 18, you can now fly at the rate of 120 feet and you can fly for a maximum of 3 minutes. When you attack will you are flying your weapon does one more damage dice.

Archetype 2 . Pure Soldier

When you choose this class you gain Unarmored defense equal to you strength mod + your constitution modifier plus 10. You cannot use a shield or wear armor to gain this defense.

You also gain the ability to use a hit die to heal yourself in battle. You may use this feature once per short or long rest.

At level 7 you gain the ability to summon one creature with a challenge rating of 4 or lower. It will take an action to summon the creature and if you want to attack with the creature you will have to use one of your attacks. You can use this ability once per short rest

At level 10 you gain the ability to catch your opponents weapons and attempt to break them. As a reaction you can attempt to catch the blade. If you are successful you can attempt to break the blade. By making a strength roll with advantage vs the opponent's dex save. If the opponent fails their weapon is broken and you can make a melee attack.

At level 16 you can now summon a creature with a challenge rating of 8 or lower. It will still use the same rulings of your level 7 ability. This can only use this once per short rest.

At level 18 you can now use your reaction to add your Dexterity to your unarmored defense. Your weapon now deal 2 more weapon damage die.

Magic Orbs
As you travel throughout the world you might find little sphere that can contain magical power. You can place one magic orb

Fire orb-1d6 fire damage
Lightning Orb-1d6 lightning damage
Force Orb-1d6 force damage
Cold Orb-1d6 cold Damage
Necrotic Orb- 1d6 Necrotic damage

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Solider? Do you mean soldier?

... and then that's not what you really mean, what you mean is you want to make a Cloud character from FF7... and that's a pretty narrow project, and one that can't be balanced easily *by itself*, ie it has to be balanced vs other FF7 heroes, not standard D&D types.

I guess the real question I'm wondering is if you plan on using this in a FF7 game or a standard D&D game?

Igwilly

First Post
The idea seems good. You just to flesh out Materia abilities and such. And the fluff: that's a important part of the class.
Honestly, I think the name is fine. You could create another name and leave Soldier to a more "traditional" class. That would perhaps be better. But make a more "traditional" Soldier class and people will complain about how it is "unnecessary" or that creates the dreaded "bloat" or that the Fighter can already do that or something like this. Name this class as you want: if you have no plans for another class named Soldier, leave as it is.
I don't play 5e, so I cannot help with balance.
I would have done it somewhat different, but it wouldn't be for 5e.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Hello. This is my second time I have posted on this site and I need help balancing a homebrew class
Balancing is a fairly rough thing. If your DPR isn't out of hand, and your spell (or other magical) resources can be tapped out over a 6-8 encounter day, you're fine. If you do see a balance issue in play (which you can, no matter how carefully you may try to balance a class up-front, players can always surprise you) you can always compensate for it...

that I made basing it off of the Solider class from Final Fantasy 7.

One magic orb
This weapon was forged using a metal from a meteor and can only be lifted by you.

At level 2 you gain the ability to draw upon the magic that runs through your veins.
At level 9 you can now use the spell Stoneskin. You can only use this once per day.
At level 11, as a bonus action you can cast haste upon your self. This can only be used once per day
Archetype one. Materia user
At level 3 when you choose this archetype you gain the ability to fly for 60 feet.

At level 3 you can cast spells through your sword as you use the Sorcerer spells.
At level 7 you gain the ability to create a beam of energy At level 10 when you cast a cantrip you can make a weapon action as a bonus action. At level 16, you can now use a magic orb as a bonus action. Depending on the orb that you can use it to empower your weapon to deal your weapon damage plus 1d8 orb damage.
At level 18, you can now fly at the rate of 120 feet and you can fly for a maximum of 3 minutes. When you attack will you are flying your weapon does one more damage dice.
Archetype 2 . Pure Soldier
At level 7 you gain the ability to summon one creature.Magic Orbs
As you travel throughout the world you might find little sphere that can contain magical power. You can place one magic orb
So it's called a 'soldier' but it uses all kinds of magic? Should fit right into 5e. ;)

Remove ads