Some beginner questions about Improving Monsters

Ormiss

First Post
Hi!

I have a couple of questions relating to improving monsters as per the rules in the Monster Manual.

1) Does a creature that is advanced through HD gain any bonuses to ability scores such as the ones gained by characters/creatures advancing in classes? (In addition to the bonuses gained by advancing in size.)

2) The CR guidelines state that if a creature is given "nonassociated" class levels, the CR should rise by 1/2 levels. How would you classify "associated" class levels? What about sorcerer levels for a melee-based creature? What about cleric levels for the same creature?

3) If a creature possesses an ability that deals a fixed amount or damage or, say, heals the creature a fixed amount of damage, would you increase that damage/healing when you advanced the creature by HD (significantly)?

the Jester

Legend
Ormiss said:
Hi!

I have a couple of questions relating to improving monsters as per the rules in the Monster Manual.

1) Does a creature that is advanced through HD gain any bonuses to ability scores such as the ones gained by characters/creatures advancing in classes? (In addition to the bonuses gained by advancing in size.)

Yes, every 4 HD garners the creature a +1 ability increase.

2) The CR guidelines state that if a creature is given "nonassociated" class levels, the CR should rise by 1/2 levels. How would you classify "associated" class levels? What about sorcerer levels for a melee-based creature? What about cleric levels for the same creature?

It's all about synergies with the creature's existing abilities. A choker? I call rogue associated. A chuul? More likely fighter or barbarian. A creature with spells as a sorcerer 8? I'd call sorc associated. Basically, it's pretty subjective. I would only call caster levels associated if they stack with the creature's existing caster level, though, and not always then (eg. a CR 17 creature that casts as a 5th level sorcerer- prolly sorc is not associated).

3) If a creature possesses an ability that deals a fixed amount or damage or, say, heals the creature a fixed amount of damage, would you increase that damage/healing when you advanced the creature by HD (significantly)?

By the book no; but if you look at some examples of advanced monsters in the books they do increase sometimes. I use my own judgment; if a major ability of a CR 1, 1 HD monster does 3d6 damage and the monster advanced by 30 HD still doesn't have a better attack, I'd prolly increase it somewhat. Same kind of judgements apply with things like SR.

Ormiss

First Post
Thank you for your help!

Incidentally, I've been reading your Cydra story hour lately--it's been great entertainment. :)

I have another question: If you give a monster with CR 15 (26 HD, fyi) 10 class levels, how much wealth would you say it could spend on equipment? As a 10th level character, as a 25th level character, or something else?

Remove ads