• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some D&D Insider bits (Update 9/13: Lots of new info)

Glyfair

Explorer
Apparently Didier Monin has been answering a lot of questions on the D&D Insider on the WotC forums since the middle of last week. There has been a bunch of information given, and I thought I'd try to condense it.

These will be paraphrased questions. To see the full question and answer, click the links to the original post.

Q: Will my players need to own the book and activate it to use those options in the character generator?

Answer
Didier Monin said:
We already have mentioned that owning the E-version of a published book will allow to see the details of the book content within the D&DI applications, if you are a D&DI subscriber.
Now you will still be able to build a character using features from a published book even if you do not own the E-Version of that published book. You will not be able to see the detailed descriptions of the resources you have used from that published book, though.
Q: What if I don't want to play online, but want to use the map maker and character generator for my home game?

Answer
Dider Monin said:
If you are a D&DI subscriber, you will be able to use the various resources for your games, regardless if you are running them at home or through the internet. For example, nothing will prevent you to use some of the D&D game table functionalities on your home game, if you want to, provided you are online and a current subscriber when you do so.

This said the game table is designed to facilitate games between people that will not physically be at the same location, it is not designed to replace your normal home game experience. If you are running the game with all your players already around your table, some of the game table functionalities may become either useless or more complicated to use than simply having your tiles, miniatures, books and character sheets.

In the end though, each DM will be able to decide for themselves how they prefer to run their game. The D&DI applications will simply provide new options...

Q: Will I need internet access to use D&D Insider

Answer
Dider Monin said:
The D&D game table and the character builder are windows applications driven by a 3D-engine (DirectX based)
The character sheet, dungeon builder and encounter builder will be standard windows application.

You will indeed need to access the internet and be a D&DI subscriber to use these applications to their fullest potential.

Q: Will I need to subscribe to D&D Insider to play on the virtual game table?

Answer 1 & Answer 2
Dider Monin said:
To be a player in a game hosted through the D&D game table, there will be a possibility to play without having to subscribe. The details about that type of access will be provided in the upcoming months through articles on the dndinsider.com web site.

Dider Monin said:
Starting a game session using the D&D game table will require a DM with a D&DI subscription.

Now we are planning to allow players to join a game session without necessarily being a D&DI subscriber. I am not saying it will be free, but it will not require a D&DI subscription to participate to a game. The details about this type of access for players will be unveiled in the upcoming month from the dndinsider.com web site. Stay tuned!

Q: Do you really expect everyone to bring their laptops to the gaming table?

Answer
Dider Monin said:
Please remember that the key goal of D&DI is not to bring laptops to the game table. It is to allow players that are not able to get together around the same gaming table to still play D&D, using the internet as their gaming table with the D&D game table application...

Having more laptops on your home game table is certainly a possible consequence of that D&DI initiative, but it is not our core drive for the D&DI project.

Q: Do you realize your data on Macs is inaccurate?

Answer 1 & Answer 2
Dider Monin said:
We are aware of the trends in this area, and as I mentioned earlier we are looking if some of our D&DI applications can be used with the more recent intel based mac systems, while keeping in mind our delivery goals and timeline. We also have made our decisions regarding serving the PC platform first based on factual market research data, not estimated data. A lot of our future steps will depend on the success of the first steps.
Dider Monin said:
Hey, I did not say we were using generic Market Research data... We have our own market research department at Wizards...

Q: How will additional miniatures be available on the virtual game table?

Answer
Dider Monin said:
We are still looking and defining the exact details of how digital miniatures will be available for the game table, and we will provide the relevant information in due time through the dndinsider.com articles.

Getting miniatures for the online game table from randomized boosters is certainly envisioned, even if that may not be the only way to get them.

Q: Why will we be limited to 3 games a month with the D&D Game Table?

Answer
Dider Monin said:
I do not know where this 3 time a month comes from, but it is simply a rumor, and, as far as I know, does not come from any official statement.

I'll be happy to check on your source if you can provide some link of where you have heard about these limitations.

Last edited:

Fobok

First Post
That answer about playing without subscribing is a relief. I have friends online who really couldn't afford to subscribe but might want to play using the game table. I don't know if I like the idea of virtual miniature boosters, though. I don't mind with Magic Online, but this is different. On the other hand, if there's generic miniatures to take their place, or other options to buy them, I don't mind so much.

Glyfair

Explorer
Fobok said:
On the other hand, if there's generic miniatures to take their place, or other options to buy them, I don't mind so much.

Scott Rouse actually stated here on ENWorld:
Scott_Rouse said:
You'll get a basic set of monsters and NPCs as part of you subscription to Insider. You'll be able to make PC based minis with the character creator (and I suppose NPCs within the core races/classes). New sets of monsters will be released that you'll be able to add to your game over time.

There will also be tokens you can use on the game table to represent monsters/NPCs.

More info to follow at a later date.

So, presumably, you'll always be able to use tokens.

Alt Boy!

Banned
Banned
Fobok said:
I have friends online who really couldn't afford to subscribe but might want to play using the game table.

Unfortunately, he also didn't say it would be free. I think I heard Scott Rouse (but my rememberance is weak) say the "non-subscriber" option would cost a few dollars. I hope I am very, very wrong.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Fobok said:
That answer about playing without subscribing is a relief. I have friends online who really couldn't afford to subscribe but might want to play using the game table. I don't know if I like the idea of virtual miniature boosters, though. I don't mind with Magic Online, but this is different. On the other hand, if there's generic miniatures to take their place, or other options to buy them, I don't mind so much.
I have serious objections to random physical items and I absolutely loath the idea of random virtual stuff... hopefully, at least some kind of tokens will be available.

Glyfair

Explorer
Alt Boy! said:
Unfortunately, he also didn't say it would be free. I think I heard Scott Rouse (but my rememberance is weak) say the "non-subscriber" option would cost a few dollars. I hope I am very, very wrong.

Oops. I linked to the second half of that answer, but forgot to quote it (it was readdressed much later than the original reference). I fixed it, but here is the response,

Dider Monin said:
Starting a game session using the D&D game table will require a DM with a D&DI subscription.

Now we are planning to allow players to join a game session without necessarily being a D&DI subscriber. I am not saying it will be free, but it will not require a D&DI subscription to participate to a game. The details about this type of access for players will be unveiled in the upcoming month from the dndinsider.com web site. Stay tuned!

fuindordm

Adventurer
Alt Boy! said:

If they've put together a killer application to enable long-distance gaming, why on Earth should it be free? I even pay my FLGS a few bucks to use their room for an evening, which I think is quite reasonable.

Fobok

First Post
fuindordm said:
If they've put together a killer application to enable long-distance gaming, why on Earth should it be free? I even pay my FLGS a few bucks to use their room for an evening, which I think is quite reasonable.

Totally agreed. I'm just glad there'll be a cheaper option for those who just want to play the occasional game. Would it be nice to be able to play for free? Oh yeah, but I don't expect it.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Playing per game: Sure, quality has its price, but I'm not sure whether that could be covered by the DMs subscriber fee. One at least must be a subscriber and thus spend money.

Virtual boosters: If that's the only way to get different miniatures, and you have to buy them separately, I sure as hell won't buy any of them. Not that I'll have need of the gaming table, anyway.

I think they should either be free or be included in real boosters. So if you buy a Dragonstrike booster (before you fall over each other trying to find information about the Dragonstrike set, I just made that up), I get 8 random plastic minis and a code to unlock the same minis online. Or maybe they'll print the code on the stat card or something (so those who buy singles aren't screwed).

But this got me thinking: If they're going with virtual boosters and go to all this effort to create virtual gaming tables, I think they should think about a virtual skirmish table, too.

hexgrid

Explorer
The D&D game table and the character builder are windows applications driven by a 3D-engine (DirectX based)
The character sheet, dungeon builder and encounter builder will be standard windows application.

Boo! Hiss!

Remove ads