D&D 5E Some Fizban's Treasury of Dragons sneak peek previews

Looks like we're starting to see some sneak peeks at Fizban's Treasury of Dragons in the run-up to this weekend's D&D event. This article gathers some Twitter posts by those who have some early access:

Among other things, there are pictures of a red great wyrm, a moonstone dragon, the list of the 20 dragon types we'll get deep dives on, and a list of some very high CR creatures in the book's bestiary, including Aspects of Bahamut and Tiamat. Can't wait to see more previews this weekend!

No real surprises on that list, the most interesting besides Gem Dragons, are Moonstone, Shadow Dragon, Faerie Dragon.

Shadow Dragons are only a Template, perhaps we will get stats for Pure Blooded Shadow Dragons.

As a tiny Dragon I didn't think the Faerie Dragon would get a section, but I knew it was techniquely possible. I hope we get to see what a Great Wyrm Faerie Dragon looks like, it'd be the size of a cow!

Deep Dragons, aka Purple Dragons are one of my favorite Dragons thanks to Elaine Cunningham, so glad to see they made it. It will be interesting to see if they can turn into Drow & Snakes, they were also the biggest Shapeshifters among Chromatics.

I'm curious if Moonstone and Deep Dragons are treated as Templates, like Shadow Dragons, or just state blocks. Templates grant greater variety of capabilities.

Can Gem Dragons, Faerie Dragons, Moonstone Dragons, and Turtle Dragons become Shadow Dragons?

And what types of Dragons are in the book, but don't get a section? Like Elder Brain Dragon is in the book, but not one of the 20, likely for obvious reasons.

I hope we get alot of good Templates like the Steel Dragon from Waterdeep: Undermountain.

No real surprises on that list, the most interesting besides Gem Dragons, are Moonstone, Shadow Dragon, Faerie Dragon.

Shadow Dragons are only a Template, perhaps we will get stats for Pure Blooded Shadow Dragons.

As a tiny Dragon I didn't think the Faerie Dragon would get a section, but I knew it was techniquely possible. I hope we get to see what a Great Wyrm Faerie Dragon looks like, it'd be the size of a cow!

Deep Dragons, aka Purple Dragons are one of my favorite Dragons thanks to Elaine Cunningham, so glad to see they made it. It will be interesting to see if they can turn into Drow & Snakes, they were also the biggest Shapeshifters among Chromatics.

I'm curious if Moonstone and Deep Dragons are treated as Templates, like Shadow Dragons, or just state blocks. Templates grant greater variety of capabilities.

Can Gem Dragons, Faerie Dragons, Moonstone Dragons, and Turtle Dragons become Shadow Dragons?

And what types of Dragons are in the book, but don't get a section? Like Elder Brain Dragon is in the book, but not one of the 20, likely for obvious reasons.

I hope we get alot of good Templates like the Steel Dragon from Waterdeep: Undermountain.
I was also surprised at the inclusion of the faerie dragon, but I'm now really interested in what that section will have in it!

I had suggested that the shadow dragon might be one of the 20, but also had doubts as it is a template. Looks like that was not a bar for their inclusion.

Like you, I do hope we'll see something on steel dragons...

Also, it looks like the CRs of each type of great wyrm (metallic, chromatic, and gem) are all the same, which may indicate it's a template, instead of an outright stat block. Or there's one stat block for each of those three types, modified by breath weapon type...

I think Template is a safe bet, with universal abilities, that buff innate unique abilities of the Dragon like its Breath Weapon without changing its damage and resistance type, although it may also add somekind of new option like a new shape or to create somekind of Elemental servants from it. Size and basic stats would be all the same for its family of Dragon species.

But the question for me is are Deep Dragons still considered Chromatic Dragons and can you mix the Shadowdragon Template and Great Wyrm Templates. And are there Faerie Dragon Great Wyrms which would be of a much lower CR then 19 and therefore not listed. BtW I think the Dragon Turtle Ancient was said to be the DT's Great Wyrm equivalent. Do Moonstone Dragons count as Fey Gem Dragon or are they a Template like Shadow Dragon or are they just a lower CR Great Wyrm?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
One of the previews has a picture of an "Adult Moonstone Dragon," and the CR list has an "Ancient Moonstone Dragon." I'm thinking they will be fully detailed by Size Category, like the other True Dragons.

Looking at the previews in context, I suspect this is just a snippet from the CR index, with many more sub-19 CR options not listed. We know from the same batch of previews that there is an 'Adult Moonstone Dragon," for instance.
Oh, I have no doubt that this is just the top-tier CRs. I imagine there are dozens of lower CR creatures, including the earlier age categories for the new-to-this-release dragons...

Weiley31

Legend
Will they have the stat blocks of the earlier Dragon ages or are they just gonna be regulated to the MM and this book is just gonna have the high CR versions/just Ancient/Great Wyrm?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Will they have the stat blocks of the earlier Dragon ages or are they just gonna be regulated to the MM and this book is just gonna have the high CR versions/just Ancient/Great Wyrm?
For the Dragons in the MM, they won't get reprinted (though the MM Dragon Turtle is apparently retconned as an "Adult Dragon Turtle"). The new True Dragons will get the full gamut, it seems.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases