D&D 4E Some good programs for a 4e DM?

UltimaGabe

First Post
Hello, Enworld!

So, I've finally decided to join the world of the future. I've bought a laptop (a netbook, in particular) and I plan on using it to enhance my 4e game (or at least make keeping track of books & info easier). I'm excited to be able to have all of my books & character sheets at the ready, without having to rifle through a stack of papers and all.

But I'm sure there's more I can do with it than just having easily-accessible digital copies of books & sheets. What are some good (preferably user-friendly) programs out there that you guys use? For example, where can I find a good dice roller? Maybe a program that's really good for keeping track of initiative and/or conditions? What's a good mapmaking program?

Anything you guys can recommend to help out my game would be most appreciated. Links (or at least detailed information on how to find them) would be awesome, but if you can only give me the name of a program, or, heck, just an example of what types of programs are out there, that's cool too.

Thanks a lot!

Saagael

First Post
Since you will already be using a laptop at session, might I recommend taking a look at the tools offered at RPTools - Home. It's a completely free virtual tabletop that I've been using for over a year now to host online games. If you're looking for an all-in-one utility for managing combat, their tabletop product Maptools is excellent, even with face-to-face games. I've used it for face-to-face games to keep track of individual monsters, make attacks using macros you can program in, creating maps and notes for me to use. In fact, I've even set up a DM screen-type system so that you can view all your charts and tables by clicking on a button.

If you want to get really into it, you can pick up one of the frameworks from the forums and go all out in creating full-working tokens that track health, powers, conditions, initiative, bonuses, penalties, and whatever else. If you're really into it, you can use a projector and a second computer to project your battle-map onto a wall or table, while you control everything from your laptop.

It's the only VTT I'm familiar with, but it's worked for me with few problems. The only downside is that if you want to do more complex work, you'll have to learn to use the maptools macro language, which is pretty bulky (it's something of a mesh between HTML/CSS and Java), or you can install one a user-made framework (there are several to choose from).

BobTheNob

First Post
I have spent the last year and a half wiritng and maintaining my own software and just got a major revision working, and have to say, wow!

I am testing tonight, but who knows, it may be time to down tools and move over to Masterplan.

Nytmare

David Jose
I have spent the last year and a half wiritng and maintaining my own software and just got a major revision working, and have to say, wow!

I am testing tonight, but who knows, it may be time to down tools and move over to Masterplan.

I'm in the same boat as you.

If there were just a teeeeeensy bit more customization built into it I'd jump in with both feet.

What I've discovered, at least for me, is that it's really easy to let your computer, especially if you're operating with a smaller screen, to get too cluttered with too many bits and pieces. Alt tabbing to jump between a couple books, and DDI, and a die roller and character sheets, and your own notes, it all gets out of hand too quickly. Try as hard as you can to consolidate and organize your virtual work space to as few screens of information as you can.

Currently I run with: My DM tool (dice, initiative, DM Screen, characters, encounters, and notes all integrated into one tabbed Excel sheet that lets me see pretty much every pertinent piece of information I need to run within one click or mouseover), Adobe Photoshop to edit a layered map image that feeds to a player monitor, and RPG Soundmixer.

Remove ads