• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some mini's for review

Quickbeam

Explorer
Jubei said:
Quickbeam - if you don't win as an EN Judge, I will lose faith in all that is holy. I got all my friends voting for you.

Don't get irrational on me now. Last year I was 12th in the voting, perhaps this year I break into the Top 10. Next year a Judgeship :).

Last edited:

fourthmensch

First Post
Well, its been a while but I finally finished that red dragon. I followed Jubei's advice and used Dry Hard clay. Not easy to work with, and I found that it tended to crack as it dried. This was actually rather fortunate, since I was trying for a volcanic look, so I just ran with the cracks. I also found the clay to be a bit more fragile than I would have hoped, so I coated it with some watered down elmer's glue before painting it.

So, what do y'all think?

Attachments

• Thraxata 1.jpg
    Thraxata 1.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Thraxata 2.jpg
    Thraxata 2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Thraxata 3.jpg
    Thraxata 3.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Thraxata 4.jpg
    Thraxata 4.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 45

Storminator

First Post
Jubei,

Nice work! You've really got an eye for colors.

A point about the backgrounds: one of the articles I read suggested a medium gray background (30-40% gray I believe). If you look at your fighter3a.jpg, it's got the background in about the right shades, and you'll note that the mini looks really sharp against it.

My DM wrote an article on thinning paint for Reaper Miniatures. It's here:
http://reapermini.com/index.php?nav...aint&article=15
I find that thinned paint makes the flesh tones smoother, and I noticed a couple of yours looked kind of blotchy. Reaper's site in general has a lot of good advice and a lot of painters.

There's a thread here to discuss the article as well.
http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79954
PS

Storminator

First Post
fourthmensch said:
Well, its been a while but I finally finished that red dragon. I followed Jubei's advice and used Dry Hard clay. Not easy to work with, and I found that it tended to crack as it dried. This was actually rather fortunate, since I was trying for a volcanic look, so I just ran with the cracks. I also found the clay to be a bit more fragile than I would have hoped, so I coated it with some watered down elmer's glue before painting it.

So, what do y'all think?
I like the mini and the lava. Nice colors on the lava. I see a lot of fire stuff with the darker colors in the middle, and this way looks much better.

PS

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads