• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some mini's for review

Jubei

First Post
I've recently started painting and I figured I'd throw out a couple for review. Constructive critisizm is welcome, but please be gentle.

Attachments

• Bugbear 01a.JPG
    Bugbear 01a.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 224
  • Barbarian 01a.JPG
    Barbarian 01a.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Barbarian 02a.JPG
    Barbarian 02a.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 183

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Jubei said:
I've recently started painting and I figured I'd throw out a couple for review. Constructive critisizm is welcome, but please be gentle.

Nice work, Jubei! I really like the detail and the backdrops help give you good sense of each mini.

satori01

First Post
Those look great. I always love it when someone says "oh I'm new to painting", and then produces pictures of painted minatures that blow my mind.

I especially love the bugbear, where did you get that Mini?

Jubei

First Post
You are too kind. The mini btw is a WOTC that most likely is out of print but can be ordered on-line, like I do with most of mine. I use Reaper Pro paints almost exclusively, and recommend all to try them. Very resilient paints that don't need mixing of colors because they come in so many of them, and did I mention cheaper and more pasint per bottle than Citadel?

I appreciate your very kind comments. Thanks. It encourages me to do more.

Jubei

First Post
I guess I can show a few more since no rotten tomatoes were thrown at me. Hope you enjoy and critique.

I'm only showing 1 pose of each figure. If you would like to see more angles of each please specify which figure and I will gladly post. Thanks.

Attachments

• Demon 02a.JPG
    Demon 02a.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Demon 03a.JPG
    Demon 03a.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Desert Fighter 01a.JPG
    Desert Fighter 01a.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 142

kengar

First Post
These are pretty darned good! :)

It's always interesting to see the work of experts, but it can be equally interesting to see a newbie's efforts as well. A couple things I thought I'd mention for your benefit:

1) On the bugbear, I would wash the skulls with an ivory or other "dirty white" to make them look more like bone. They look a little too clean (though that might be the picture).

2) Try shading the areas around characters' eyes a bit more. The surrounding dark helps make the eyes themselves stand out.

That said, I am particularly impressed with the flame effect on the one demon's sword. As well as the lava/fire on the base of the other demon. The shading and contrast of the second demon is really strking too. I've been painting for about 3 years now and I doubt I could get those to look that good. Nice job!

Last edited:

Jubei

First Post
Thanks, kengar. That was very generous of you, and I'm sure you are too modest about your minis. But your words inspire me, so here are a few more, and thanks.

Attachments

• Dragon 01h.JPG
    Dragon 01h.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Drow 01a.JPG
    Drow 01a.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Drow 02b.JPG
    Drow 02b.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 129

TiQuinn

grumble....."recently started painting".....you disgust me!

Come back when you've got some badly painted miniatures to soothe my bruised ego! ;)

I really like the color schemes that you've picked out for these minis. That automatically seperates them from a lot of stuff that I've seen. On the second Barbarian and the Drider minis, I can't tell but it looks like they may need more color coverage. It looks like there's some bleed through of the white, though that could just be me seeing things.

Last edited:

Quickbeam

Explorer
Gah -- new to painting?!? I think not. Your work is much too polished. Or maybe it's just that my own appears so much less competent...

In any event, those are excellent!! I personally like the Lolth/drider and second demon the best. Perhaps it's the tuft of white hair that makes the demon prince so cuddly ;).

Got any minis in armor or huge flowing cloaks? I find that those figures can really demonstrate an artist's skill at use of shading and color variation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads