• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some mini's for review

Jubei

First Post
Thank you for your complements. But I have a confession...I have been painting for a while, but in on and off spurts (my job doesn't leave much time for frivolity). I am new to putting my pictures for display for critique by others. I never thought I was that good until my friends made me feel otherwise.

My artistic talents were comic books, and I was invited to join a subsidiary of Marvel comics (Epic Comics) to draw for them. I used to paint miniatures as a kid, but it was never as good as my sketches, so I got frustrated and dropped it for about 17 years. Now, painting as an adult, I find myself pouring over the detail, and the final product never ceases to amaze me. It's this whole god-like power that controls the final outcome of this pewter miniature, that seems animate and sentient. And yet no matter how well it comes out, I still find flaws and feel it wasn't worthy to stand up to comparison with the other far more talented artists.
So I am sorry if I misled anyone in thinking I just started painting. But I did just recently stop being rigid in my painting technique, and just let my imagination take over. The results were far more superior.

And here are a few more...

Jubei

First Post
Oops...Sorry...Here they are...

Attachments

• Dwarf 01a.JPG
    Dwarf 01a.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 112
  • ELf 01a.JPG
    ELf 01a.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 127
  • Ettin 01a.JPG
    Ettin 01a.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 133

Jubei

First Post
Quickbeam, you really have a good eye for minis. I see that you are running for an Ennie Judge. You have my vote! I went to GenCon and I met the people that have won, and some really did deserve it. You are a fresh perspective that EN world definitely has the need of. I hope you win and your contributions to EN World can be shared by all of its inhabitants.

And although you are very kind, Quickbeam, I have noticed that I have not seen a single derogatory remark on any thread I've seen so far. Either everyone is on Prozac, or people that come here are just genuinely good people. I bet the latter. I hope this trend continues. I really do.

Thanks again...Jubei.

Quickbeam

Explorer
Jubei said:
Quickbeam, you really have a good eye for minis. I see that you are running for an Ennie Judge. You have my vote! I went to GenCon and I met the people that have won, and some really did deserve it. You are a fresh perspective that EN world definitely has the need of. I hope you win and your contributions to EN World can be shared by all of its inhabitants.

And although you are very kind, Quickbeam, I have noticed that I have not seen a single derogatory remark on any thread I've seen so far. Either everyone is on Prozac, or people that come here are just genuinely good people. I bet the latter. I hope this trend continues. I really do.

Thanks again...Jubei.

As to the first part of your post, well thanks!! There is no doubt that several of the Judges (T-Bill in particular) are quite deserving, and have done a fantastic job over the years. I just hope that I'm given the chance to represent EN World in this capacity -- if not this year, then somewhere down the line.

In regards to the second portion of your post, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better online community whether or not its dedicated to RPG-related content. Welcome aboard and have fun!!

P.S. Check out the "sticky" thread at the top of this page, I'm betting that you'll find another forum for your previously referenced artistic talents.

Hey Jubei,

You are pretty good. Way better than I am... ( I have painted about 20 or so mini's ) You should consider posting your pictures to "Cool Mini Or Not" so more people can enjoy your work.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/index.php

You take good pictures too. Personally, I think a busy background distracts from the mini iteself, but that is a minor complaint.

Thanks for sharing,

BFG

Jubei

First Post
Thank you both, Quickbeam and BFG.

BFG - about the busy backgrounds...you may be right...some of the pictures come out too fuzzy and I think it's the camera trying to focus on the background. Any suggestions to have a crisp clear cut picture?

BTW - what's a "sticky thread"

Ferret

Explorer
Knightfall1972 said:
Nice work, Jubei! I really like the detail and the backdrops help give you good sense of each mini.

Grrgh beat be too it. I totally agree though, favourite one is the bugbear

Jubei said:
Thank you both, Quickbeam and BFG.

BFG - about the busy backgrounds...you may be right...some of the pictures come out too fuzzy and I think it's the camera trying to focus on the background. Any suggestions to have a crisp clear cut picture?

BTW - what's a "sticky thread"

I guess I will answer for Quickbeam ( you are right, he is a helluva guy! ) since I'm here first: A "sticky" thread is one that is labeled as such at the top of many forum views. The thread is designated by a moderator to stay at the top, and thus is "sticky". This particular one is promoting the ENWorld art galleries, of which you can create your own to host your pictures where more people will find them. Check it out.

Hundreds more people will see your work if you post to C'MON ( the link I provided in my previous post ). There are some really good painters there, and many experienced painters will post comments that are 'mostly' constructive given time.

I love this website, but be wary of ordering from NewWave miniatures which advertises heavily with banner ads there. I myself have been a NewWave ripoff victim. Just a probably unecessary warning...

I am NOT an expert by any means in photography ( in fact my camera has no macro function to photo minis ), but I believe many mini photographers use a cloth or large light colored paper to create a drape effect backdrop, eliminating any horizon, and allowing the mini to become clearer.

Check this out for an example of what i'm talking about regarding the backgrounds: ( a post on C'MON - NOT my work ):

http://www.coolminiornot.com/index.php?id=45202&c=All&m=All&nm=none

There is some good mini photography advice ( including more on the backdrops )on this website you might want to read too:

http://www.privateerpress.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5813

Keep the photo's coming!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads