• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some Questions about creating higher then 1st lvl characters

melkoriii

First Post
So my DM is having us make new characters or convert our concept in his game.

SO we are to make lvl 14 characters. Things went fine till I need to buy gear.

So DMG page 143

I get three magic items of lvls 13,14,15 and some gold.

The gold part is easy. Just buy other magic items with it.

The flat Magic Items is a different story.

So there are three items that make a difference in 4e that you want top of the line when you can.

Weapon
Cloak/Amulet (neck)
Armor

Thing is that they have VERY limited magic items in the PHB.
Just armor alone has problems.

I want a Scale armor so Im limited to 9 out of the 28 total magic armors.

Of these 9 there are only two 13th, one 14th, two 15th
So I really only have 5 to pick from.

Looking at Weapons and Neck pieces I run into the same problems and that limits what I can pick of each item even more because once I pick my lvl X item it removes all options of that lvl from the other two pieces.

Am I missing something or are we VERY limited on what higher lvl characters can pick for gear?

Pistonrager

First Post
are you complaining that you have 5 armor choices? that's pretty good.
and the items you get for "free" are up to those levels you can choose things of lower levels.

and honestly, you'll pretty quickly find new and better stuff as you adventure.

theNater

First Post
The reason you want those things to be top of the line is for the bonuses to attack and defenses. At level 14, that's a +3. You can pick up the basic "+3 with no specials" gear as level 11 gear. So you can still be top of line if you buy level 11 or 12 stuff for those slots out of your cash. Does that free up enough options?

Edited for phrasology.

melkoriii

First Post
Pistonrager said:
are you complaining that you have 5 armor choices? that's pretty good.
and the items you get for "free" are up to those levels you can choose things of lower levels.

and honestly, you'll pretty quickly find new and better stuff as you adventure.

Where does it say "Up to those levels"?

My book says chose one of X+1, X and X-1

Also 5 armor choices is crap. Of the 5 there are really only 2 that I would want and like I said it removes that lvl option from the other items slots.

TheNater said:
The reason you want those things to be top of the line is for the bonuses to attack and defenses. At level 14, that's a +3. You can pick up the basic "+3 with no specials" gear as level 11 gear. So you can still be top of line if you buy level 11 or 12 stuff for those slots out of your cash. Does that free up enough options?

Edited for phrasology.

Not really since there are even less options in the other magic items of those lvls.

Last edited:

theNater

First Post
melkoriii said:
Where does it say "Up to those levels"?

My book says chose one of X+1, X and X-1

Also 5 armor choices is crap. Of the 5 there are really only 2 that I would want and like I said it removes that lvl option from the other items slots.

Not really since there are even less options in the other magic items of those lvls.
I can't really tell what it is you want, but I'm looking at the other magic items to see what I can find.

Let's say you can't get everything you want. So you buy a level 11 item to fill one of your armor, weapon, or neck slots. Not fancy, but it keeps your scores appropriate to the level and leaves you with a good chunk of cash left over. Then you get nice things for the other two, leaving you with a level 13, 14, or 15 item to pick up.

Level 13 has Winged Boots. Fly a short distance once per day. And, if the bad guys push you off a cliff, you're okay.
Level 14 has the Iron Ring of the Dwarf Lords. Whether you activate its daily power or not, you've got an extra healing surge avaliable, which is nothing to sneeze at.
Level 15 has a couple of nice belts. Giant Strength for +10 damage on one melee hit per day(ouch!). Or Ironskin, to ignore 10 damage from all weapon attacks for one round once a day. Both very nice.

Sure, you don't have 1,001 options, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find at least two nice items out of the big three.

Remove ads