D&D 5E Some uses for Hit Dice (+)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I am toying around with an idea to kill multiple birdies with a single sling stone...

A. More uses for HD, an under utilized mechanic IMO.
B. Increasing the power-level for higher level PCs, particularly martials.

So, this is a first draft, please, be gentle. ;)

Firstly, this uses the concept that HD are a store of "inner reserve" of power, luck, extra effort, etc. akin to the abstract aspects of hit points. This is why you can spend HD to restore hit point following a short rest.

Next, this assumes half your HD (minimum 1) are recovered following a short rest instead of a long rest. All of your HD are recovered after completing a long rest.

Also, you begin with 4 "extra" HD at 1st Level. These are NOT added to your hit points at 1st level.

Lastly, when you spend HD for any purpose (regaining hit points or one of the uses following below), you cannot spend more HD than your character level.

For example, suppose you are a 1st-level Ranger with 12 hit points. You will have 5 HD due to the extra 4 HD, but when you finish a short rest, you can only spend 1 HD to restore your hit points.

OPTIONAL: I am also proposing not adding CON bonus to hit points, so you will have fewer maximum hit points than typically, but with the extra HD and faster recovery of HD, your hit points available during the "adventuring day" should be reasonable for survival. Like everything here, you certainly don't have to do this, but I probably will since we already do.

Now, such a rapid recovery of HD might be too much, I really don't know and I am just spit-balling some ideas I had on the drive home.

I am putting the HD expenditure in brackets following each concept. So, "[2 HD"] means it would cost you 2 HD to use the option.

Generic Uses

1. Gain Advantage. [1 HD] If you spend 1 HD when you make an ability check, attack roll, or saving throw, you gain advantage on that roll.

2. Removing Exhaustion. [1-5 HD] You can spend HD to remove exhaustion following a short rest. The number of HD spent is equal to your highest level of exhaustion. Only one level of exhaustion can be removed in this fashion following each short rest.

3. Reroll Damage. [1 HD per die] When you roll damage for an attack or spell, you can spend 1 HD to reroll 1 of the damage dice. You can reroll any number of the dice, up to a maximum of your character level, but only once for each die rerolled, and you must take the second roll.

Others will follow as I think of them.

CLASS SPECIFIC USES:

Firstly, this is a fairly major retooling of many features. I'm sure most of these will be edited or outright removed after further thought. For now, I just want to get it all down.

Secondly, this list (for now) focuses only on the main class features, not any subclass features.

Lastly, some of the suggestions are really nerfs, but I tried to restrict those to mostly casters since many people feel they are too powerful at higher levels (to which, I agree).

Rage [*1 HD*] Your HD fuels your rage, which lasts for 3 rounds instead of 10 rounds. This replaces your "Rages" in the Barbarian table.

Fast Movement. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD per 10-foot increment*] You can spend 1 HD to increase your speed by 10 feet. This increase lasts until you take an action, your speed is reduced, or 1 minute has passed.

In addition, when you use your movement to jump, your jump distance increases by half your Strength score for each HD spend to increase your speed.

Indomitable Might. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD per 5 DC*]. You can spend HD to automatically succeed on a Strength check. The number of HD is equal to 1 HD for each 5 DC value, rounded up.

Bardic Inspiration. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD per Inspiration die*] You can use your reaction to spend your HD to regain your Bardic Inspiration dice, to a maximum of the number of Bardic Inspriation dice you normally have.

Countercharm. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD per spell level or level of the charming effect*] You can spend HD as a bonus action to allow one creature within your Countercharm affect area to automatically succeed in their saving throw. The number of HD you must spend is equal to the spell level or level of the effect against which the creature is rolling a saving throw.

Channel Divinity. [*2 HD*] You spend 2 HD to use a Channel Divinity feature. This replaces the number of uses in the features column of the Cleric table.

Turn/ Destroy Undead. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD per CR, minimum 1*] When you use your Channel Divinity to Turn or Destroy Undead, you can spend your HD to have one target of the feature automatically fail the saving throw. The number of HD you must spend equals the challenge rating of the target creature, minimum 1 HD.

Divine Intervention. (In addition to the regular text.) [*10 HD*] You can spend 10 HD to double the number you need to roll under on the percentile dice to succeed.

Wild Shape. (In addition to the regular text.) [*2 HD*] You can spend 2 HD to use your Wild Shape feature. This replaces the number of uses you are normally allowed.

You can also increase the challenge rating of the beast into which you transform. For each 1 point increase (minimum 1) you must spend 1 HD. You are still restricted by the limitations of movement you are allowed, however.

Second Wind. [*1 HD per d10 rolled*] You can spend your HD and use your bonus action to heal a number of hit points equal to 1d10 for each HD spent. You add your fighter level to the amount healed.

Action Surge. [*4 HD*] You can spend 4 HD to take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action during your turn.

Indomitable. [*6 HD*] You can spend 6 HD to automatically succeed on a saving throw you have failed.

Ki. Your ki points are replaced by your HD. Instead of spending ki, you spend HD, with 1 HD equal to 1 ki point.

- Step of the Wind. [*1 HD per increment*] You can spend 1 or more HD to increase your jump distances. 1 HD will double, 2 HD will triple, 3 HD will quadruple (x4), etc.

Deflect Missiles. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD per d10*] You can spend HD to increase the amount of damage you reduce, with each HD adding another d10 to the amount.

Evasion. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD*] You must spend 1 HD to use this feature.

Lay on Hands. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD per extra 5 healed*]. You can increase the amount of hit points restored by 5 for each HD you spend. (Originally I thought of just making Paladins spend their HD to heal others... so I might return to that. shrug)

Divine Smite. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD per spell level*] If you have no spell slots available, you can spend HD to fuel your Divine Smites. You can spend 1 HD per spell level to replace using a spell slot, subject to the maximum spell slot you can normally spend on a Divine Smite.

Channel Divinity. [*4 HD*] You spend 4 HD to use a Channel Divinity feature.

Aura of Protection. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD per creature*] You can spend 1 HD per creature to grant advantage on a saving throw they make while under your Aura of Protection.

Cleansing Touch. [*4 HD*] You spend 4 HD to use this feature. This replaces the number of uses you are normally allowed.

Favored Enemy. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD*] You can spend 1 HD to add one die of damage when you hit a creature selected as one of your Favored Enemies.

Primeval Awareness. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD per minute*] You spend 1 HD per minute to fuel this feature instead of spell slots.

Land's Stride. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD per creature*] In addition to yourself, you can choose a number of creatures up to your level to gain the benfits of this feature by spending 1 HD for each creaure selected. If a selected creature moves more than 30 feet from you, it loses the benefits of this feature.

Vanish. [*2 HD*] You can hide so well as to become invisible to creatures around you. As a bonus action you can spend 2 HD to become unseen and unheard for 1 round.

Foe Slayer. [*4 HD or Variable*] Once on each of your turns, you can spend 4 HD to automatically hit one of your favored enemies.

Instead of using this feature to automatically succeed on the attack roll, you can spend HD to increase the damage dealt on a successful hit agains a favored enemy. For each HD you spend, add 1d8 to your damage for the attack.

Cunning Action. (In addition to the regular text.) [*2 HD*] When you spend your bonus action for a Cunning Action use, you can spend 2 HD to gain an addition use of your Cunning Action.

Evasion. (In addition to the regular text.) [*1 HD*] You must spend 1 HD to use this feature.

Reliable Talent. (In addition to the regular text.) [*up to 10 HD*] When you use this feature, you can spend a HD to improve the minimum result of 10 by 1 for each HD spent.

Stroke of Luck [*5 HD*] Instead of using this feature only once per short or long rest, you must spend 5 HD to use it.

Sorcery Points. Sorcery Points are replaced by HD, with each HD spent equal to 1 Sorcery Point. (This is probably too harsh, but maybe not?)

So... no clue. I am not a big Warlock user or fan, so I'll welcome suggestions if anyone has ideas. :)

Maybe something like spending HD to use the at will Eldritch Invocations, or something to handle EB spamming?

Arcane Recovery [*1 HD per spell slot recovered*] You must spend 1 HD for each spell slot you recover with this feature.

Spell Mastery [*1 HD per spell level*] When you want to cast any of your chosen spells with this feature, you must spend 1 HD for each spell level of the spell cast.

Signature Spells. [*3 HD*] You must spend 3 HD when you cast the spells chosen by this feature.

That's it for now. Whew! Again, please, be gentle in your suggestions, rants, threats, etc.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Oh wait. sorry, I didn't see the +
LOL no worries. Like most of the stuff I come up with, I know it is hardly for most players of 5E. :)

But, FWIW, if you see something completely off, please comment. This was thrown together from thoughts and a quick browse through the PHB, so I know it is hardly gold material. ;)

Stormonu

Legend
On Bard, consider the fact the Bardic Inspiration die gets larger at higher levels (from d6 to eventually d12) - might want to make d10/d12 cost 2 HD.

On Fighter, should have the ability to spend HD to use Maneuvers for Battle Masters. Maybe spend HD for Champions to turn a hit into a critical hit.

On Paladin, spending a spell slot to smite normally gives 2d8 + 1d8/spell level above 1st. I'd suggest when using HD, it's a flat 1d8/HD up to Prof Bonus max.

On Warlock, I'd suggest allowing the Warlock to spend 1 HD + spell slot level to recover a used spell slot. If that's too much, maybe spending HD to cast spells gained from an Invocation (such as the Confusion spell they get from Dreadful Word)

Stormonu

Legend
Also, I don't think it's a good idea to make the monk use HD for Ki - that'd be like requiring the wizard to use HD for his spells. Probably should make it that the HD can be turned into ki points, but make it take an action to turn no more than a number of HD equal to the monk's proficiency bonus (so a 3rd level monk would have to burn their turn to turn 2 HD into 2 ki points, and then could use them the NEXT turn).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
On Bard, consider the fact the Bardic Inspiration die gets larger at higher levels (from d6 to eventually d12) - might want to make d10/d12 cost 2 HD.
Good point. I'll give it some thought, but since you get more HD it might be ok.

On Fighter, should have the ability to spend HD to use Maneuvers for Battle Masters. Maybe spend HD for Champions to turn a hit into a critical hit.
Yeah, I have lots of ideas for subclasses, but for now I am just focusing on the main class features.

On Paladin, spending a spell slot to smite normally gives 2d8 + 1d8/spell level above 1st. I'd suggest when using HD, it's a flat 1d8/HD up to Prof Bonus max.
Also a good idea! It would remove the caveat about not having spell slots left.

On Warlock, I'd suggest allowing the Warlock to spend 1 HD + spell slot level to recover a used spell slot. If that's too much, maybe spending HD to cast spells gained from an Invocation (such as the Confusion spell they get from Dreadful Word)
I think I am more tempted to allow them to spend HD either to use or gain extra uses for spell-like Invocations.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to make the monk use HD for Ki - that'd be like requiring the wizard to use HD for his spells. Probably should make it that the HD can be turned into ki points, but make it take an action to turn no more than a number of HD equal to the monk's proficiency bonus (so a 3rd level monk would have to burn their turn to turn 2 HD into 2 ki points, and then could use them the NEXT turn).
Admittedly, I struggled with this idea for balance reasons (same thing for Sorcerers and Sorcery Points).

But, I think I would like to try it in play-testing before I abandon it because you do get more HD and recover them faster. It probably isn't enough, so we'll see.

If it doesn't work, I like the idea of spending 1 HD to gain 1 ki points, up to proficiency bonus, and making it an action would allow the monk to spend ki as a bonus action on the same turn.

Remove ads