Some weapon questions.

Ragmon

Explorer
So, hi guys.

We started a new session, I'm one of the 2 players, so we are playing gestalt, starting at level 1.
I'm playing Wizard//Cloistered Cleric human.
My gimick is that I use a Goliath Greathammer. How, you ask? Well let me tell you, two words, Master's Touch.

This is all assuming you guys know everything i'm talking about. I'll answer question if I'm not clear on some points.
------------------------------------------------------------------
So after looking at various weapons and started noticing (in the PHB):
- d6 weapons cover all 3 damage types (bludgeoning, slashing and piercing).
- d8 or 2d4 covers all types.
- d10 covers all types
- d12 or 2d6, these types only have slashing types (Great- Sword and Axe)

Yes, some none core weapons cover those damage types in that damage range. Like Goliath GreatHammer d12 but has x4 Crit and is Exotic. Or War Spear or something deals 2d6.

Does anyone know the reason for this?
- Was it cause the designers wanted to make the weapon types a-symmetrical?
- Is it cause about (I checked MM1 to MM5 personally for this data):
* So MM1 to MM5 there are (This is an approximation, cause I did not count different sizes of the same type or creatures that belong to the same family (Raksashas), that and lots of monsters have DR/x Piercing or Slashing):
17 creatures or creature groups that have DR/x Bludgeoning
11 creatures or creature groups that have DR/x Slashing
7 creatures or creature groups that have DR/x Piercing
- So do you guys thing that the designers didn't create d12 martial bludgeoning weapons cause "lots" of monsters have DR/x Bludgeoning?
Next one.
Can I cast spells while wearing 2 gauntlets?
- Is it cause it counts as wielding weapon?
- Or is it a direct gauntlet rule?
Is freeing up 1 hand for casting spells while wielding a 2 handed weapon a "free action", if yes is it mentioned in some book? If not then were does it says so?

Lol. That is a bit of a long post.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
Does anyone know the reason for this?

No idea. My best guess would be that the 3.0e PHB inherited its weapon list from 2nd Ed, and that game reserved most of the 'big hitter' damage dice for slashing weapons.

Can I cast spells while wearing 2 gauntlets?

Gauntlets yes, because you're considered to be unarmed. Spiked gauntlets, I don't know.

Is freeing up 1 hand for casting spells while wielding a 2 handed weapon a "free action", if yes is it mentioned in some book? If not then were does it says so?

Freeing up a weapon is a free action. Moving the two-handed weapon back to two-handed use is a move action, per the FAQ. Though a significant number of people, myself included, consider that excessively restrictive.

The 2E explanation sounds like the most likely. They didn't want to add too much new stuff to the "already proven" weapons.

Looking at http://rodriguezvaughn.com/geekspeak/index.php?topic=133.0 I can't find any martial bludgeoning weapons that do 1d12 or 2d6... Yet I know at least one exists since the War Mace does 1d12 as a two-handed martial weapon. For slashing 1d12 there's greataxe, and 2d6 is greatsword. For piercing there is no 1d12 weapon, but there is a 2d6 in the form of the Ripper from the Planar Handbook.

It's curious, definitely.

Last edited:

Remove ads