• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sooo, that's my players certain not to be subscribing to DDI...

WotC said:
Subscription Pricing

One month: $14.95
Three month: $12.95/mo
12 Months: $9.95/mo

Hahahaha, no, no I don't think they're going to be into that, no matter how "cheap" it may be compared to their respective incomes.

The other info about the VTT is less than promising, too, as it seems that unless you're a $15 a month subscriber (no doubt more outside the US!), you can't say, create a character, and possibly can't even join a game (looks like they were deliberately obfuscatory on that one) without being "sponsored" by the GM (presumably in a monetary sense - Edit, looks like $3 per person for 24 hours. Sheesh).

Last edited:

hewligan

First Post
The pricing is ridiculous. I am not a 4e basher - quite looking forward to seeing how it advances the franchise if truth be told as I was never the greatest fan on 3.5e, but charging $120 a year to subscribe to a gaming website is just insane!

If that pricing is "per participant", then a standard party of 4 + GM could be looking at $600 a year to game online using the DDI. WOW!

Bold or Stupid

First Post
How much were Dragon and Dungeon in the US. Converting to UK prices it barely costs more than a copy of Dragon. It doesn't seem much to me, and I'm a just above mimimum wage over here.

Mercule

Adventurer
The pricing is pretty much dead on what we've been told for months. No change in my position -- which is, I'm debating how much I'm willing to invest in gaming (not just D&D) anymore, at all.

Enforcer

Explorer
Yeah, I just don't see why this is so outrageously expensive given what you get. Dragon, Dungeon, the Rules Database (even books you don't own!!!), character generator, tabletop. Well worth $120/year for me.

Still, like everything 4e related, the actual product will be the deciding factor.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Are you serious?? The value is FANTASTIC.

For a subscription you get full Dungeon and Dragon content, I think they said 160 pages a month. All for a price LESS than what I paid per year when the print mags still existed.

So already you are ahead.

Additionally you get access to a rules database that has all content from ALL books, even ones you don't own!!

You get the game table (which non-subscribing players can access for 24 hours for like a 3 dollar fee).

And you get the character builder software.

The fact that someone could think this isn't a good value just boggles my mind.

mrtomsmith

First Post
Don't forget to add the costs of the minis if you want pretty 3d versions of enemies. Minis you need to buy individually (but not randomly, at least).

Agreed. Way too expensive. Pen and paper is good enough for me.

If they work out some sort of "free month for each book you buy" thing, my opinion changes a lot. And there are hints of free guest passes included in the base cost, which could help a lot, too, if they're fairly generous with these. I want to be able to buy this as a DM and allow my players to not even worry about it. But at this price, that doesn't work.

Novem5er

First Post
For a DM who runs games a couple times a month, it's actually a pretty good deal. It looks like you get access to a lot of resources that can help run games at your dinner table.

Assuming that players can hook up with strangers online to play games easily, it's not a bad deal for the lonely player who has no local friends to play with.

But for typical groups, local or spread across a region?

NO WAY!

The only saving grace is the "sponsor" option, but I still believe it's too high. For instance, say I'm a DM willing to pay the monthly fee ($14.95). Say I have 3 players I want to sponsor (at $3 each). I either have to convince 3 people to charge $3 to their credit cards to play, or I have to eat that cost myself.

That's $14.95 a month + $9 per session.

Bi-weekly games are going to cost $32.95 a month.

$32 a month for 2 sessions on a "3D" table using 2D monster tokens and no video chat?

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
Ruin Explorer said:
The other info about the VTT is less than promising, too, as it seems that unless you're a $15 a month subscriber (no doubt more outside the US!), you can't say, create a character, and possibly can't even join a game (looks like they were deliberately obfuscatory on that one) without being "sponsored" by the GM (presumably in a monetary sense - Edit, looks like $3 per person for 24 hours. Sheesh).
Based on previous comments (which, admittedly could be out-of-date), they were considering allowing a D&D subscriber will likely have a number of slots they can "pass on" as a DM at a table. For example, maybe every month you'll be able to have 8 passes (which would allow 2 of your players to join a once/week game). I can't find the exact reference in Didier Monin's posts on the WotC forums.

More than likely that's what they were referring to when they said "can sponsor people playing on your table."

Last edited:

Remove ads