D&D 5E Sorcerer - how to improve my intiative? (Or maybe another solution?)

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I'm playing the face/glass cannon in the group. 8th level Tiefling Wild Magic Sorcerer.

As we all know Fireball is great for softening up a room, but I am usually lower down the initiative order. By the time it's my turn, I can't (shouldn't) throw the fireball because our barbarian (and sometime the bladesinger) is already in melee.

I've got 14 dex (+2 init) and the 18 dex Barbarian usually goes first (actually the 18 dex Gloomstalker with Alertness usually goes first, but he's a bow guy so he's not the problem).

One option of course is to ask them to ready their action until it's my turn, but really that's hamstringing the Barbarian from getting their second attack or do other things.

Wondering how to improve my initiative so I have a better chance of going early in the order.
I just realized I do have Enhanced Ability, so I guess I can do that if danger seems to be near (before combat "begins").

Anything else I can do before 12th level and either take the Alert feat or increase my Dex to 16?

Thanks for any feedback.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
There's a spell that adds some temporary dex, that's the only thing that springs to mind, but even that's hard to use for Init.

You could also talk to the group and see if maybe some team planning could be done. Maybe the Barbarian hucks a handaxe or a javelin the first round so that you can get the Fireball off, then he charges in.

Edit: the Barb gets to huck twice and take a wait and see round on the need to Rage. It's tactically sound IMO.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
How prevalent/easy to get are magic items on your campaign?

A weapon of warning (can be any weapon; dagger or staff for you) is an uncommon magic item - gives advantage on initiative rolls and some other nice abilities.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Lightning Bolt gives you a bit more control over who hit with your AOE
Melf's Minute Meteors gives you a LOT more control with less AOE, and is a slower dealer of damage, but interacts with your party much better.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If you want to go first then taking the alert feat is best.

After that increase dex or multiclass into swashbuckler. Bards can also get a small boost with jack of all trades. Also anything that gives you advantage on dex checks helps as initiative is a dex check. So enhance ability could help.

One other thought, you can get fairly specific about targeting the fireball and position it to such a position that it doesn't hit the barbarian. Also remember you can target a square in the air, which gives even greater flexibility in hitting enemies and avoiding the barbarian. Perhaps just aim more careful would solve alot of the issues?

Alert Feat
Multiclass to Swashbuckler or Bard
Weapon of Warning
Careful Spell metamagic
Enhance Ability spell
Wild Talent (Dex) Feat from the latest UA
Lucky Feat
Improve your dexterity with ASIs or magic items

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Alert Feat
Multiclass to Swashbuckler or Bard
Weapon of Warning
Careful Spell metamagic
Enhance Ability spell
Wild Talent (Dex) Feat from the latest UA
Lucky Feat
Improve your dexterity

Good call on lucky! That one just feels right for a wild magic sorcerer IMO.

I think the OPS only option to do something faster than waiting for the next ASI is multiclassing and it isn't incredibly faster.

Remove ads