• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Sorcerer (Playtest 7)

Honestly should probably ditch VSM anyhow. I doubt many tables give it any consideration.
I think they only keep it for the same reason Crawford thinks being able to do okay damage as unarmed/improvised/natural weapons is wildly OP - delusions about how 5E is actually played. Yeah the last time I've seen it come up (including on podcasts) was some years ago, aside from PC roleplaying intentionally bringing up dumb material components for humour value.

Stalker0

Legend
My main beef with wild sorc, its still completely possible at 3rd level to accidentally drop a fireball on your entire party and TPK yourself. That is just stupid....and flavorwise, why would you ever adventure with someone who is that kind of ticking timebomb?

That is the one entry they need to remove from teh wild surge list.

Yeah I would rather all spells just don't work when your grappled, or in silence, etc. And then if you want a spell to be a "special exception", just note that in the spell itself.

Spell X
This spell still functions underwater or in a silence spell (etc etc).
Wow that's actually much better design than 5E's design - and hilarious much more in-line with their own design goals and general approach and specific-beats-general and so on. Honestly applause for that.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
  • It's good that they've dialed back the custom class spells.
  • Both Aberrant and Clockwork are unexpected subclasses. It's nice they've included one of the pseudo-psionic subclasses. Were these met with an enthusiasm that I had missed?
  • Dragon. The change to Dragon Speech (level 3) gives you knowledge of Draconic, but you can't understand dragons if they are communicating to you in another language. This is pretty subtle tweaking for what is essentially a ribbon ability. (Am I missing something?).
  • I can't help but be disappointed with the reversion to class spell lists. There was such potential here to let the class choose which spell list it wanted, like they had given to the Bard. All of a sudden, there are Divine Sorcerers built-in without needing a subclass, and Primal ones, each of which would have played differently with Metamagic. I know not everyone is sad, but for me I will be mourning the Sorcerer that never was but could have been.

Remove ads