Sorcerer's casting ForceCage

Riekhan

First Post
The description of force cage says that preparing the spell take 1500 gold, but actually casting it is costless. How does this apply to a sorcerer?

[Just for fun: Ignore] Smile test::confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :cool: :D :mad:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The description of force cage says that preparing the spell take 1500 gold, but actually casting it is costless. How does this apply to a sorcerer?

Heh!

To keep the spirit of the rule, I think after his 8 hours of restful calm, the sorcerer would have to sacrifice 1500 gold to "charge" every Forcecage he expected to use that day.

By the letter of the rule... you have to decide whether or not "prepare" is used in the technical sense of a wizard selecting his spells for the day, or in the generic sense of "get set up for".

-Hyp.

Zhure

First Post
Heh. I brought this up about a year ago on the old boards. I got flamed for being a powergamer.

I think the simple solution is to require the 1500 gp expended during casting.

Greg

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
A solution which I use in my campaign might be too drastic for you:

All Sorcerers eschew material components, they just don't use them. BUT, and spell with a gp cost will cost the sorcerer xp to cast at a 10% rate - so it would cost 150xp to cast forcecage.

This may give you some alternative ideas?

Malin Genie

First Post
The 'eschew components but XP cost' was something I suggested for a Sorc variant on the old boards, too. I think that it fits better with the 'sorceror's magic comes from within' concept.

Having said that, why does Forcecage cost so much? I understand the rationale behind charging high MC costs for some spells (like Stoneskin) but don't see why Forcecage is so powerful that a few castings could buy you a war galley, the slaves to run it, and the lighthouse to guide it in to shore.....

Kylearan

First Post
Well met!

IIRC, wizards cast their spells during preparation, but not completely. So they use up the forcecage component then. A sorceror does not 'precast' his spells. So I would rule that he needs the gold when he casts forcecage.

Kylearan

Remove ads