• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sorcerers too powerful?

Kinneus

Explorer
FWIW: Warlocks do have a design issue -- but it's not their role. They play fine as a Strriker/Controller, IME.

The design issue is their Primary/Secondary ability score structure. They're a "V" class; and we all now know that "A" design classes are best. Poor Warlocks (and Pallys, and Clerics, and Rangers).....
See, I don't think Clerics and Rangers are suffering all that much. Paladins and Warlocks I'll give you, though. Their MAD issues certainly aren't helping things... but it is possible to build an effective Paladin despite the MAD issues. Even a carefully-built Warlock still feels lacking, though. I think it's a problem with their role. Not Striker/Controller. That's perfectly viable, and that's what a Sorcerer effectively is. It's the concept of a "single-target Controller", emphasis on the single-target part. It just doesn't work, in my experience. If a target is threatening enough to require its own Controller, chances are the rest of the party will pitch in with their own dazes and stuns and blinds, turning it into a paper tiger right away. Or else the single target is so threatening that you didn't really stand a chance anyway.
These are just my experiences, YMMV.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads