Sorcerous Magic Item Use Houserule

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Here are some house rules I use for sorcerer to make them feel more like a fountain of arcane energy. Using these house rules, sorcerers can channel magic energy from magic items into themselves and vice versa. This incentivizes sorcerers to find magic wands, rods, and staves to increase their magic versatility and power much how wizard seek spellbooks and spell scrolls.

SORCEROUS ITEM DRAINING
As an action, a sorcerer can drain charges from an attuned rod, staff, or wand to gain sorcery points. The rate is 1 sorcery point gained per charge drained. If the magic item has a chance to be destroyed if its last charge is expended, it is always destroyed if drained of its last charge this way.

SORCEROUS ITEM ACCLIMATION
As an action, a sorcerer can cast a spell from an an attuned rod, staff, or wand which uses charges from its own sorcery points. The sorcerer casts the spell from the magic item as if it were a spell known and expends a number of sorcery points to create a spot slot of the spell in the magic item. The spell cast uses the DC listed by the magic item.

SORCEROUS ITEM INFUSION
As an action, a sorcerer can restore charges from an attuned rod, staff, or wand by spending sorcery points. The rate is 1 charge gained per 2 sorcery points spent. the sorcerer cannot give a magic item more charges than it can normally have.

Example

Randyll Random the 8th level wild mage has taken a wand of fireballs as his share of dungeon loot. He attunes with it shortly afterwards.

• As an action, Randyll can drain up to 7 charges from the wand to give him equal sorcery points. If he ever drains the last charge from the wand, it crumbles to ashes and is destroyed.
  • As an action, Randyll can cast fireball from the wand. Doing so cost him 5 sorcery points for a 3rd level fireball, 6 sorcery points for a 4th level fireball, and 7 points for a 5th level fireball. The DC for the spells are always 15. He can apply his Empower Spell metamagic to these fireballs.
  • As an action, Randyll can restore up to 7 charges to the wand by expending sorcery points. The The rate is 1 charge per 2 sorcery points spent.

In a fight with some hobgoblins outside the dungeon exit, Randyll wins initiative and opens with a fireball from his wand of fireballs using 5 of his sorcery points. One his next turn, Randyll uses the wand normally for another fireball. With the hobgoblins near depleted and fleeing, Randyll uses his action to put 1 charge in the slightly spent wand using 2 sorcery points for future fireballs.

Your thoughts?

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Some questions:

For class balance, are these features replacing other sorcerer class features? Can this be re-shaped into a sorcerous origin, or do you feel it needs to be available to all sorcerers?

Are these features gained at character creation, or are they gained as the sorcerer levels up?

Are there "usage per type of rest" limitations on these features?

What limits are there on the number of charges-into-sorcerer points that can be acquired at any time?

All that being asked, I've got to admit I like the flavor of this variant.

Fragsie

Explorer
I think this is awesome, but with a lot of potential for abuse if it is just a flat house rule available to all sorcerers without any balancing. I agree with Redthistle though; this could easily be turned into a very unique Sorcerous Origin; perhaps the character gained his powers as a sorcerer from contact with a powerful artefact.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
All sorcerers get it.

Well I put two main restrictions.
One the item has to be attuned. So you can only get a few of them.

Two, you have to find the items.

Also, I made it rather inefficient. So you can dump sorcery points into the wand but only so much without needing yourself. The real issue I've found is dumpijg left over points inton the wand at the end of the day before long rests. But that's not more than rolling well on the recharge roll.

However, it could be done as an origin.

Remove ads