D&D 5E Sources for underwater settlements

RoiC.

Explorer
In our next session, my players are supposed to arrive at a large lake in the Feywild, filled with villages of merfolk, sea elves and possibly other "good" aquatic races, under the tyrannical rule of a powerful, fear mongering sea hags and her army of sahuagin, merrow and possibly other water baddies. Problem is, I'm not sure how to run the aquatic races' settlements.

Are there any sourcebooks or adventures (be it official WotC or even TSR material, 3rd party material and even stuff from other games that can be used easily with 5e) that have a friendly underwater settlement to take inspiration from? I've flipped through Ghosts of Saltmarsh and 2e's Sea of Fallen Stars, but both didn't quite offer the details I was looking for (but I might have missed them, so feel free to correct me). I'd be happy to hear any suggestions that you guys can offer.

Thanks!

Von Corellon

Adventurer
‘Exploring Eberron’ by Keith Baker, available on DMsGuild, has a nice section on underwater civilizations, quite flavorful and compelling.
Chapter 4: Thunder Sea
Exploring Eberron

Attachments

• A3406E42-2CF9-46CB-9A4D-52E30177AD01.jpeg
    A3406E42-2CF9-46CB-9A4D-52E30177AD01.jpeg
    439.5 KB · Views: 318

aco175

Legend
I guess that depending on how large the town is, there can be just locations and not a map of the whole thing. I find it hard to picture streets of all the people swim. I mean you could have giant crabs pulling 'wagons' through the sand and the need for some sort of street. I would think that things are laid out with more curves and flow in mind and not square rock and timber. Most think of building with coral and such, but there could be giant shells and shipwrecks that are used.

I would also think that windows would be open with bars to allow for waterflow to circulate everything, like air movement to keep things fresh. Is there any need for heating/cooling in houses or do all the races adapt to the water temps? What about bathrooms if everything floats? A few strange things to surface dwellers can make the encounter fun without needing to map the whole place out.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Check out the Star Wars RPG to see what they have about Gungans.

(sadly, I'm not even joking. that's the first underwater civilization that came to mind)

NotAYakk

Legend
An underwater settlement can be more 3d than we are used to, because tension + buoyancy lets you make "skyscrapers" easier, and the people in them can swim.

What I might start with is the 5th element urban scene. Rivers of traffic, skyscrapers, the bottom being a slum.

Think of how it would grow. You'd get vertical ropes of settlements with floating bladders attached, then you'd attach your new building to the old, reinforce the main cable, etc. Over time, transportation corridors would have the sky cut off from them, and bio-luminescent tubes pumped through them to maintain some light. The corridors would have reinforced sides so as not to cut off transport.

You could arrange for currents to flow down those tubes, both as a form of ventilation and as a form of transportation.

Different tubes would go in different directions; stemward, shellward, rising, falling, widdershins and deosil.

Organic or geothermal powered pumps that provide the thrust for the water forming the "heart" of the settlement.

These "express tubes" would leak in a controlled manner to provide fresh breathing water to the settlement, and you'd enter by climbing against that local current. The tubes would flow from a central heart out, then back again, as providing pressure from a few central locations is easier than having a source of pressure at every edge of the settlement.

The result is towering a pulsating organic creature of a city, glowing with interior light.

Remove ads