Space 1889

Shadowsmith

Explorer
The problem with combat is that it can eat up so much of our limited gaming time. We only have four or five hours a week to game so I would like to keep combat to a minimum.

That said, I welcome combat that advances the story and is interesting. I have fond memories of my PCs battling their way through the interior of what they thought was a mole machine only to discover to was a massive submarine. Normally not that bad, but this was on Venus.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
The problem with combat is that it can eat up so much of our limited gaming time. We only have four or five hours a week to game so I would like to keep combat to a minimum.

Man this is like a foreign language to me. I mean I try not to throw in a bunch of "wandering monster" type encounters that don't mean anything in the greater context. That's a waste of perfectly good violence.

But in that type of setting there is action at every turn. Historically my Space: 1889 games are ones where we roll initiative in the first five minutes and it's a roller coaster ride of adventure for the next 4 hours.

Inferno!

Explorer
Pinnacle has announced it's availability at GenCon, along with cover art

S2P10012_Small_Trimmed.png

Their booth is just inside the east doors to the exhibit hall. I know what my first stop is this year!

Matchstick

Adventurer
Pinnacle has announced it's availability at GenCon, along with cover art

S2P10012_Small_Trimmed.png

Their booth is just inside the east doors to the exhibit hall. I know what my first stop is this year!

Wow, they have some nice stuff. Space 1889, Deadlands, the Savage Worlds Starter Kit (really tempting), even special Space 1889 bennies! That's going to be one popular booth!

Maxecat1

Villager
This.

I love this setting and have since WAY back when I was in high school. Never did get a group to play it under the original rules. Then, several years ago, I decided that it would be a fun setting to use for one shot games. So I converted it to d20 Modern.

Hi Rel, do you still have any of your conversion notes please?
I am trying to do exactly the same thing at the moment, & any
time saved would be magic...
Would you be willing to share perchance?

Cheers,
Philip

S'mon

Legend
In many ways, it is more useful for "gaslight romance" than steampunk, as it isn't very punk - there's no looming dystopia that usually characterizes "punk" genres.

Space: 1889 has the 'internal aspect' of British 19th century science fiction/planetary romance, and I get the impression the GDW people were quite Anglophile. The British Empire are the good guys, the bad guys are savage Martians, Germans, and especially the Belgians - who admittedly were pretty appalling IRL.

Space: 1889 embodies the optimistic "before Armageddon" worldview that died on the Somme. It's not good for typical Marxist-influenced Steampunk dystopian play, but could be used for a more subtle critique.

Remove ads