Space Adventure RPGs

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The more I've been looking, the more I am under the impression that there are very few resources around that address setting up campaigns or creating settings for space games. Stars Without Number having tables for randomly rolled planet seems to be mostly it.

I guess the openness of "sci-fi setting" plays a part in that. Asking about advice on creating a sci-fi setting is too open to give any kind of answer to.
Traveller has an entire section for this in the rule book of just about every edition. Mongoose is also dedicating a book on the subject. 🤷‍♂️

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
The more I've been looking, the more I am under the impression that there are very few resources around that address setting up campaigns or creating settings for space games. Stars Without Number having tables for randomly rolled planet seems to be mostly it.

I guess the openness of "sci-fi setting" plays a part in that. Asking about advice on creating a sci-fi setting is too open to give any kind of answer to.
Well I've pointed out previously in this thread, I published rules to create entire, scientifically viable star systems, with stat block, and a planet point system allowing you to tweak your table rolls, purchase resource stations (ie: mining processors, hydroponics facilities, etc.) and extra-planetary structures to grow your civilization over time. So rules to establish star system inhabiting sci-fi settings - even science and government type is included. Now that by itself doesn't make a setting, but it establishes quite a bit. Though designed for use as Starfinder compatible - it's just a subsystem of rules usable in any sci-fi game system, called The Planet Builder (only $2.99).

Thomas Shey

Legend
Traveller has an entire section for this in the rule book of just about every edition. Mongoose is also dedicating a book on the subject. 🤷‍♂️
Note, however, Traveler already has an at least implied setting, which makes its tables more about setting up an individual "location" (in this case a planet or system) than actually setting up a campaign, though; at most if you go in with a merchants campaign in mind it'll give you some tools for that. But if you're doing a mercenaries or explorers campaign its only really of limited help in making it interesting.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Note, however, Traveler already has an at least implied setting, which makes its tables more about setting up an individual "location" (in this case a planet or system) than actually setting up a campaign, though; at most if you go in with a merchants campaign in mind it'll give you some tools for that. But if you're doing a mercenaries or explorers campaign its only really of limited help in making it interesting.
Traveller does have a setting, but the little black books were completely designed for making your very own systems and settings from the beginning. Its always been highly encouraged, and still is.

Also, there are Trillion credit squadron and the entirely new mercenary line out by Mongoose. The idea that Traveller is based on trading goods in space is an old one.

aramis erak

Legend

Traveller, Space Opera, Spacemaster, Star Hero, and GURPS Space all provide world generation rules, as well. Cepheus Engine uses Traveller's methodology. Each has certain setting tropes baked in. Star Hero and GURPS Space both provide discussion of adapting. Traveller and Space Opera both provide for larger setting structure (the sector and, in Traveller & CE, the Subsector).

Mekton II's supplement Mekton Empire provides a setting pregenerated, but with the worlds not assigned to the locations on the map. (one needs to read it carefully to avoid certain issues. Note that the rules within have been superceeded in Mekton Zeta & Mekton Zeta Plus, but most of it is a setting. MZ itself discusses setting issues about running anime.

Star Frontiers had no system gen, either, but included a setting with a 21 stars and their inhabited worlds laid out neatly on a table and a map... Knight Hawks added a map that tells you just how long it takes to get from a to be... a bit cartoonish, really, but intended as both RPG and boardgame. Zeb's guide adds more systems.

Every game mentioned above is still available in either legit PDF or in dead tree.
And every one of them bakes in assumptions intentional or not.

aramis erak

Legend
Its always been highly encouraged, and still is.
Not really; CT encouraged it because of lack of official setting.
MegaT, TNE, T4, T20, and T5 are all focused upon the OTU; while it includes the world gen, it's not talking about making your own settings.

So only CT and both Mongoose have been heavy on encouraging the world gen as setting building, rather than as filling in undefined chunks of the OTU.

So for the 20 years between, Traveller was mostly seen as about the OTU; Mongoose actively set out to change that; they succeeded. But for many, Traveller is still about the OTU.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Traveller does have a setting, but the little black books were completely designed for making your very own systems and settings from the beginning. Its always been highly encouraged, and still is.

But that doesn't mean it actually gave much ground-up tools other than the ones I mentioned.

Also, there are Trillion credit squadron and the entirely new mercenary line out by Mongoose. The idea that Traveller is based on trading goods in space is an old one.

Talking primarily about the core books here (though I'm not convinced TCS was much good even for a mercenaries campaign; too large a scale and too space-focused). Mercenary helped in the old days as may very well the new equivelants, but they weren't core books--and I'm still not sure at least the old one helped much in how to set it up, it just gave more tools for characters for it.

aramis erak

Legend
But that doesn't mean it actually gave much ground-up tools other than the ones I mentioned.
True - the tools haven't changed much, either, tho T20 and T5 have better numbers.
Talking primarily about the core books here (though I'm not convinced TCS was much good even for a mercenaries campaign; too large a scale and too space-focused). Mercenary helped in the old days as may very well the new equivelants, but they weren't core books--and I'm still not sure at least the old one helped much in how to set it up, it just gave more tools for characters for it.
CT book 4 has recruiting and recruit training rules.
Those do contribute to running/playing a mercenary focused game.
The abstract combat system, while not as good as the FASA version for Mechwarrior, was adequate for solo play. Some might find it good for group play, but I never used it for group play; i did my merc campaigns using MegaTraveller's large scale combat.

aramis erak

Legend
I wasn't talking about a mercenary company large enough to need more than the PCs.
Book 4 isn't aimed at small units.... it's aimed at PCs as senior cadre of a half-company to battalion level unit.

And it's good for doing that.

The extra hardware is largely not going to be used much in sub-platoon level units... simply because it's mostly restricted. The exceptions being the Assault Rifle, Gauss Rifle, and Advanced Combat Rifle. At least, not without being a good bit munchkin.

Remove ads