• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spartacus - Blood & Sand

lin_fusan

First Post
Characters act consistently, true to their motives, fears and hopes, in complex ways. The series makes a deliberate choice to develop its ongoing plot lines and make its characters act in ways that make sense within the story.

This is what I really grok to in this series. Each character has a goal that is very clear from ep to ep, and they do things to attain that goal. And each goal intertwines and conflicts with the goals of the other characters. That's drama.

This show is carefully constructed, and it tickles my writer's gland while giving me blood, guts, and glory.

As for the acting, I see it as much better than the wooden acting on Babylon 5, and I loved Bab5. I think I'm very forgiving to actors (except for a certain few on my "will never watch list") but I'm very critical to writing and plotting, which makes sense considering my writing background.

So count me (and my girlfriend) as fans of this show.

Fast Learner

First Post
I wondered how long they would play things out regarding the death of Spartacus's wife. Now how long can they hold back moving forward with the rebellion? I figured we'd have a couple of seasons with no rebellion, but I'm not sure how that's possible now.

Sutekh

First Post
Rebellion? I don't see that happening anytime soon. The rest of the season will be the Spartacus game plan to bring down his 'master'.

I was really thrown by the Spartacus/Illythia 'relations' a few episodes back. Way to go series.. I totally didnt expect that reveal.

I think we will be seeing Sura for a long time to come. although his new Dark haired attendant seems to have somewhat caught his eye.

catsclaw227

First Post
I might be misunderstanding you, but . . .

It's on Starz here in the US, and if you have Netflix you can stream it online.
What I mean is that sine Starz isn't a very common pay-channel (at least not as big as HBO or Showtime) it's not getting out to as many cable/satellite users as a SyFy or USA does.

Buuuut, I did not know that it was available on Netflix Instant Queue! That's Awesome! <putting in queue now...>

I know that Hulu isn't available outside the US in many cases, is Netflix Instant Queue available to the UK or European users?

catsclaw227

First Post
I was really thrown by the Spartacus/Illythia 'relations' a few episodes back. Way to go series.. I totally didnt expect that reveal.
I did NOT expect that either. I wonder if Lucretia planned that on her own and elicited the help of the other woman (can't remember her name - an important someone's wife), or did the other woman talk Lucretia into it as a sort of prank that went way bad.

EDIT: Her name was Licinia. I recall everything now. :)

Last edited:

BrooklynKnight

First Post
I did NOT expect that either. I wonder if Lucretia planned that on her own and elicited the help of the other woman (can't remember her name - an important someone's wife), or did the other woman talk Lucretia into it as a sort of prank that went way bad.

Xena set her up on purpose. Xena was jealous that she also desired Crixus, and because the girl embarrassed her once or twice. The whole point was to embarrass her and get something on her she could use. So, she intentionally set her up to get caught screwing the guy who embarrassed her husband, a guy she clearly hated. The plan went wrong however when she went nuts and killed the girl. But Xena salvaged the whole situation because instead of the sex scandal she used the murder to blackmail her.

Sutekh

First Post
and thats why I love the series. Now they have made Lucretia pregnant?, it will be interesting to see how thats going to play out.

It will be great to see Glaber return, and the reveal to him that Spartacus is now the Champion of Capua.

Remove ads