• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spartacus - Blood & Sand

Droogie

Explorer
Fantastic show. Loving it.

When you peel away the gratuitous sex and violence, you have some surprisingly complex characters and interesting plots. Even Crixus, who i wrote off as a 2-dimensional meat head at the beginning, had me deeply moved by his plight by episode 12.

Unfortunately, season 2 is delayed because of Andy Whitfield's recent cancer diagnosis. Hopefully he will be well enough soon to continue this amazing show.

Fast Learner

First Post
Once Spartacus learned that his wife had been intentionally killed by Batiatus I thought (as I posted here), huh, guess they'll have the rebellion in the next few episodes. I really couldn't see the character (as they've built him up) spending hardly any time planning anything once that was known.

The lore of the real Spartacus mostly takes place after the revolt, so I guess that's what the producers are doing.

I have to admit that (note: sexist-like comment spoiled ahead, avoid if easily offended by basic sexuality)
I'll really miss Lucy Lawless' breasts

Sutekh

First Post
What a great episode.

It was an episode of 2 themes. The first 15-20 minutes was setting up the remainder with Spartacus and co seeing who their allies would be.

Then it was on!

For me the best little scene was the fight between Crixus and Spartacus. Towards the end, Crixus fumbles for his Shield and then gives it a light 2 finger tap. Thats the signal of the 'coup' for me.

I felt sorry for Doctore the most. This guy has been raised by the Ludus, his LIFE is there. Its all he has. To lose all of it in what 20 minutes ... thats just shattering.

LostSoul

Adventurer
I saw the first episode when it came out over here and dismissed it as crap. Since I have it on demand I decided to give it another chance.

I'm glad I did.

This story (and it's all about the story, sex and violence just catalysts) is hard-core. Desperate people doing desperate things to get what they want. The number of tough choices they have to make, the consequences they have to deal with, the ideals they turn their backs on... it's awesome.

Burning Wheel would do it justice, I think.

Remove ads