• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Speaking of healing belt...

MithrasRahl

First Post
...what are the other "bang for your buck" magic items?

I'm in a relatively low loot/money campaign at the moment, so we have to be very smart with our money. Does anyone know of any other items like the healing belt that have a high value compared to their price?

I never adventure far from home without at least one Feather Token: Tree, but it is a single ues item. A gray Bag of Tricks can be very useful for not much money. Most importantly, I would recommend a lot of magical storage, as loot that is mundane and valuable tends to weigh a lot.

MarkB

Legend
Deset Gled said:
I never adventure far from home without at least one Feather Token: Tree, but it is a single ues item. A gray Bag of Tricks can be very useful for not much money. Most importantly, I would recommend a lot of magical storage, as loot that is mundane and valuable tends to weigh a lot.
I love Bags of Tricks - each variety can be useful. I once created an Orc druid with the shapeshift variant from PHBII who had a tan Bag of Tricks. His backstory was that he used to get animal companions, but he was kind-of accident-prone with them, and they tended not to last more than a week or two in his company, for various reasons - so the Druid elders gave him the bag, and told him that these were his new animal companions. He was no less accident-prone with them, but they always came back.

He gave them each names, according to their form, though the warhorse was called Dead Meat.

Back on topic, the MIC item my characters don't leave home without these days is the Artificer's Monocle. No more worrying about getting magic items identified.

FalcWP

Explorer
MarkB said:
I once created an Orc druid with the shapeshift variant from PHBII who had a tan Bag of Tricks. His backstory was that he used to get animal companions, but he was kind-of accident-prone with them, and they tended not to last more than a week or two in his company, for various reasons - so the Druid elders gave him the bag, and told him that these were his new animal companions. He was no less accident-prone with them, but they always came back.

That's hilarious :D

As far as valuable magic items go... I'll assume that the Handy Haversack and the Wand of Lesser Vigor go without saying...

The various Weapon Crystals in the MIC tend to be worthwhile, in my experience.

Depending on how low-level you are... if you're having trouble coming across magic weapons for characters who tend to fight a lot, consider a Wand of Magic Weapon. 750 gp (so, a third the cost of a single magic weapon), it lasts for a full minute, and, depending on how tight loot is and how many secondary fighters you have, can be useful for a few levels. Keep in mind that you aren't using this for the +1 to attacks and damage (or, once you get a masterwork weapon, just to damage) - you're using it to get through DR/Magic at low levels. If possible, buy a used wand at a discount price, and save it for things with DR/Magic.

I've found Dimension Stride boots to be incredibly underpriced (and therefore well worth picking up).

Bracers of Arcane Freedom are sort of a neat idea - essentially, you get Sudden Still Spell twice per day. Better know Mage Armor/Greater Mage armor, though, since they cost you your Bracers of Armor slot. A Ring of Silent Spells is also neat, especially when your third level spells are still useful - get in to the middle of a group of casters and have them totally outmatched, or use it in emergencies when you're silenced.

I'm personally a fan of the Raiment of the Four, particularly the Gloves of the Starry Sky and the Goggles of the Golden Sun, for all sorts of spellcasters. Wizards gain a bit of spontaneous casting, sorcerers don't need to use spells known on magic missiles and fireballs, bards and beguilers gain some offensive spell options... and if you wear multiple pieces of the set, you get additional benefits.

And for one choice that many may disagree with, but I think is rather useful... Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments. Yes, it requires you to put some ranks in to Craft (painting), and no, it won't instantly kill your enemies or heal you. But 4,000 gold and a few skill points to be sure that you'll always be able to get more weapons if they're sundered, create a door where none exists, or make food to stave off starvation... plus, there's always the opportunity to really screw your DM's plans up with a jar of paint. And if taking a plot way off its rails with a 4,000 gp pot of paint isn't good bang for its buck, I don't know what is.

AnonymousOne

First Post
Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting p216

Ignore Incorporeal Miss Chance, +1d6 damage to incorporeals.

No need for Ghost touch weapons anymore.

4000gp

glass

(he, him)
MithrasRahl said:
...what are the other "bang for your buck" magic items? EDIT: From MIC.

I'm in a relatively low loot/money campaign at the moment, so we have to be very smart with our money. Does anyone know of any other items like the healing belt that have a high value compared to their price?
Belt of Battle (I think that is what it is called). Extra actions up to three times a day.

Costs 5000012000 gp, which doesn't entirely suit a low-loot campaign, but it is easily worth that and more if you can get it past your DM unmodified... :D

EDIT: Oops, its even cheaper than I thought.

glass.

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
At that price you can immitate buckleboy Hennet. Wear seven belts of battle and, after you've exhausted the first (active) one's charges, unbockle it, drop it, and use the next one. It's like 3.0 haste but only costs a swift action.

Now we know why Hennet dresses the way he does. He had early access to MIC brokenness.

glass said:
Belt of Battle (I think that is what it is called). Extra actions up to three times a day.

Costs 5000012000 gp, which doesn't entirely suit a low-loot campaign, but it is easily worth that and more if you can get it past your DM unmodified... :D

EDIT: Oops, its even cheaper than I thought.

glass.

GilaMonster

First Post
Deset Gled said:
I never adventure far from home without at least one Feather Token: Tree, but it is a single ues item.

Personally I love the Swan boat one, even if it's just for the look on my DM's face when I say 'but I have a boat right here' when he drops us in deep water again.

I have the following on my shopping list for my healer-cleric.

Metamagic Rod of reach spell. For when you're too far away for touch spells.
Boots of swift passage (MIC78). Teleport 20 ft 5 times a day. For avoiding enemies and reaching allies
Ring of mystic healing. Bonus on healing spells up to 3/day

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads