Spears not having a range?

Tellerve

Anyone else think spears should have maybe dagger range? Or would that be considered just too good? I mean, in previous editions we had both javelins and spears being able to be thrown. Spears not as far of course, but they could be, now? Nada. I find that somewhat odd.

Tellerve

Foxen

First Post
This incarnation of "spear" is probably a heavier melee only version, not one that is meant to be thrown. That's my take on it anyhow. And the Javelin is now the "throwable" version of "spears" etc. Not all spears in ancient times were thrown.

Fox

cangrejoide

First Post
LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!

1896258636_9c975bb0ba.jpg

....What?

Tellerve

Yeah, see your point. Just hoping I guess :)

I'm going to be playing a character who uses a spear, for thematic and role-playing purposes and trying to fight the urge to have to use a longsword or spend the feat for bastard sword.

Tellerve

EDIT: wow, I got the brittany boy/girl child for my apparent whining? Harsh.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
It is stupid, but by the rules, you cannot throw a spear. I would say that the thrown range is 3/6-- that way it is not nearly as good as a javelin, or even a dagger, but not as logic-defyingly asinine as 0 range. I'd just like to see someone throw a dagger 50 feet-- then see if they cannot throw a spear farther.

TK Lafours

First Post
It is stupid, but by the rules, you cannot throw a spear. I would say that the thrown range is 3/6-- that way it is not nearly as good as a javelin, or even a dagger, but not as logic-defyingly asinine as 0 range. I'd just like to see someone throw a dagger 50 feet-- then see if they cannot throw a spear farther.

Didn't the post just before yours state that you can throw a spear? And a few posts before that recognize the difference between a spear designed to be thrown (javelin) and a heavier spear that is balanced and intended to be used in melee combat? So yes, you can throw a spear and you can throw a lighter spear (javelin) quite far according to the rules.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Didn't the post just before yours state that you can throw a spear? And a few posts before that recognize the difference between a spear designed to be thrown (javelin) and a heavier spear that is balanced and intended to be used in melee combat? So yes, you can throw a spear and you can throw a lighter spear (javelin) quite far according to the rules.

No-- the post said that Javelins (aka throwing spears) can be thrown, but that regular spears (aka heavy spears) are only meant for fighting-- and by the laws of D&D physics they cannot be thrown. If you try to throw one, and have a jerk for a DM, it falls to the ground in your square...

Edit: Actually I logged out and checked, and yes there was a post there before mine-- but it was on my ignore list so I didn't see it initially. I still however don't agree with that ruling as being at all fair-- though it is better than the spear falling at your feet.

Having a melee spear be throwable 3/6 would be perfectly reasonable and in no way unbalancing-- other than making people count to numbers that are not in increments of 5, I don't see the problem.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases