• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Works for me.

In homebrews, I notice we just have acid without saying what it affects. Here's my take (including the explosive ability). I forget what numbers I used above, so here's my best memory.

Explosive Acid (Ex): Any object or creature that remains in full-round contact with an arucha's adhesive takes 5 points of acid damage per round from the adhesive. Objects reduced to 0 hp explode as a flask of alchemical acid, dealing 1d6 points of acid damage to any creature or object in the same space and 1 hp to adjacent creatures or objects.

Shade

Monster Junkie
A slight revision...

Explosive Acid (Ex): Any wooden or metallic object or creature that remains in full-round contact with an arucha's adhesive takes 5 points of acid damage per round from the adhesive. Objects reduced to 0 hp explode as a flask of alchemical acid, dealing 1d6 points of acid damage to any creature or object in the same space and 1 hp to adjacent creatures or objects. An arucha's acid has no effect on stone.

freyar

Well, I don't know that the original was supposed to have any slam damage, but I'd be ok with 1d4 or something low.

Skills: Spot 7? Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I went with Skill Focus (Spot) rather than Alertness, as for some reason I don't see them Listening. :)

Organization: Solitary or x (10-1000)

Challenge Rating: 5? They appear about as good as an ochre jelly.

An arucha is usually about 4 feet in diameter and a thickness of about x inches. A typical specimen weighs about x pounds.

Big Mac

Explorer
OK, here's my take. I'd prefer to simplify this amazingly complex creature. How about something like this?

Create Spawn (Su): The corpse of a living creature slain by an arucha begins to rapidly decompose into a sac of flesh and goo. If not restored to life within 24 hours, the corpse is immediately transported to Limbo, where the creature arises as a free-willed arucha. A gentle repose spell has no effect, but dispel chaos cast upon the corpse prevents the transformation (but does not restore the victim to life).

This is partially wrong.

The corpse does not need to be transported to Limbo, because it isn't possible to encounter the arucha outside of Limbo - they are trapped there until they kill someone and steal their form.

Reclaim Life (Su): When an arucha successfully creates spawn (see above), it is immediately transferred to the home plane of its victim and is restored to the creature it was prior to becoming an arucha (if the original creature type is not known, the DM may either choose a creature or determine one randomly). The creature's alignment becomes Chaotic Neutral if it isn't already. Nothing short of a wish or miracle may restore the creature's original alignment.

This is different from the original 2e arucha. The 2e arucha used to steal both the form and homeplane of its victim. I think it should continue to do that. It saves the DM having to backtrack and work out the history of the long dead creature that the old arucha was "born" from.

If we make arucha change form as soon as the kill their victim, we can keep this creature type on Limbo and won't have to deal with the "immortal arucha running around on the Material Plane" thing.

A slight revision...

Explosive Acid (Ex): Any wooden or metallic object or creature that remains in full-round contact with an arucha's adhesive takes 5 points of acid damage per round from the adhesive. Objects reduced to 0 hp explode as a flask of alchemical acid, dealing 1d6 points of acid damage to any creature or object in the same space and 1 hp to adjacent creatures or objects. An arucha's acid has no effect on stone.

I like this. It works well.

Well, I don't know that the original was supposed to have any slam damage, but I'd be ok with 1d4 or something low.

I didn't think they did damage either. They are very slow. If you want to add damage is 1d4 low enough for a creature that does poke-damage?

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
This is partially wrong.

The corpse does not need to be transported to Limbo, because it isn't possible to encounter the arucha outside of Limbo - they are trapped there until they kill someone and steal their form.

Good point. I'll fix that.

Big Mac said:
This is different from the original 2e arucha. The 2e arucha used to steal both the form and homeplane of its victim. I think it should continue to do that. It saves the DM having to backtrack and work out the history of the long dead creature that the old arucha was "born" from.

They may not be slain in the shape of Aruchai on this new plane, but after the one-day period is up the Aruchai reform into the creatures they were before they were defeated by a group of Aruchai. However, the reformed creatures will now all have Chaotic Neutral alignment.

I've reread the bolded passage several times, and I still read it as "the newly-liberated aruchai reform into what they were prior to being transformed into aruchai".

Big Mac said:
If we make arucha change form as soon as the kill their victim, we can keep this creature type on Limbo and won't have to deal with the "immortal arucha running around on the Material Plane" thing.

I definitely agree with dropping the immortal aruchai bit, but think the 24-hour transformation would be nice for the victim's allies to have an opportunity to prevent the transformation. Perhaps the arucha lies dormant during this period, as its "arucha-ness" is transferred to the spawn?

Big Mac said:
I didn't think they did damage either. They are very slow. If you want to add damage is 1d4 low enough for a creature that does poke-damage?

They didn't do damage, but many oozes that didn't do damage in earlier editions picked up a slam attack in 3e. 1d4 is about right for their size.

freyar

This must have been a special mod bump. :D

Big Mac: I think this is one of those bits where the arucha is confusing enough we could go either way. I'm pretty happy with what Shade has.

Anyway, do these need anything else?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads