• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Right, and we also noted the the toad does not have a description for the ability, so it might mean something different than the usual "amphibious" SQ. So, IIRC, we grudgingly agreed to put it on the SQ line and leave it completely vague for whatever critter that was, only because we couldn't establish completely that the SRD has a mistake in the toad.

However, in this case, I think the aballin, aka "living water," which is neither aquatic nor amphibious, is sufficient precedent to leave off the amphibious SQ, no matter how you want to interpret what the amphibious SQ means. Besides, isn't it kind of pointless for oozes. Do they even breathe air?

Cleon

Legend
However, in this case, I think the aballin, aka "living water," which is neither aquatic nor amphibious, is sufficient precedent to leave off the amphibious SQ, no matter how you want to interpret what the amphibious SQ means. Besides, isn't it kind of pointless for oozes. Do they even breathe air?

The Ooze type says they breathe. It doesn't say what they breathe, but then again the type descriptors don't say what humanoids or animals breath either.

As for the Aballin, by the 3E Rules As Written they have to breathe air. Presumably they float on the surface most of the time, to avoid drowning. :)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Right, but there's nothing in the slithering hoard to suggest it doesn't do that either, since the treasure apparently "undulates" underwater. What's to say part of the ooze isn't sticking above water? It just doesn't feel right given other oozes.

Cleon

Legend
Right, but there's nothing in the slithering hoard to suggest it doesn't do that either, since the treasure apparently "undulates" underwater. What's to say part of the ooze isn't sticking above water? It just doesn't feel right given other oozes.

Oh heck, shall we leave it to Shade to break this impasse?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Where's a bit of Shade when you need some...

Just turn on a little light...

My preference in the other thread was to stick with the Aquatic subtype, since the toad seemed the exception rather than the rule.

Still, since the toad exists, I'm not terribly bothered without it.

If lives hang in the balance and I have to choose, I'd pick Aquatic.

Cleon

Legend
Just turn on a little light...

My preference in the other thread was to stick with the Aquatic subtype, since the toad seemed the exception rather than the rule.

Still, since the toad exists, I'm not terribly bothered without it.

If lives hang in the balance and I have to choose, I'd pick Aquatic.

Gelatinous Cubes aren't aquatic, so I'd rather not give the Hoard that subtype.

Cleon

Legend
They also aren't amphibious, so jettison that as well?

That's because the niche of a hypothetical Aquatic Cube* is already occupied by the Crystal Ooze*. :p

*The Crystal Ooze even has a transparent body and paralyzing attack like a Gelatinous Cube. Presumably this is parallel evolution, since they're related to Gray Oozes, not Cubes.

**Incidentally, said Crystal Ooze isn't amphibious, since they can't survive more than a few hours out of water, hence the Tome of Horrors giving them the Water Dependent special quality.

Remove ads