• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, ok, we can go for 1d6+1 bludgeoning plus 2d6 acid since you really like. ;) Same acid damage for constrict?

Since the like to hide on ceilings, split the ranks between Hide and Move Silently?

Definitely keep Imp Init as one feat. Not sure about the other at the moment.

Cleon

Legend
Well, ok, we can go for 1d6+1 bludgeoning plus 2d6 acid since you really like. ;) Same acid damage for constrict?

Done!

Since the like to hide on ceilings, split the ranks between Hide and Move Silently?

I was assuming we'd be going for that. Probably with more Hide than Move Silently.

The original monster didn't have a surprise penalty, unlike the other subterranean puddings, so it presumably isn't that great at lurking.

Will we give it some ranks in Listen like we did the other sub puds?

Definitely keep Imp Init as one feat. Not sure about the other at the moment.

Oh, let's just go for something simple. Either Reckless Offense or Weapon Focus.

Hmm, we could always give it Improved Initiative as a bonus feat like we did with the Gray Pudding.

Updating Working Draft.

freyar

How about Hide 3, Listen 3, Move Silently 2, for a total of Hide -6, Listen +3, Move Silently -3? Hmm, let's give them a +8 racial bonus in each of Hide and Move Silently when underground just to get out of the negative there. What do you think?

I'd like Weapon Focus (slam), but I'm not too bothered about Reckless Offense either way.

Cleon

Legend
How about Hide 3, Listen 3, Move Silently 2, for a total of Hide -6, Listen +3, Move Silently -3? Hmm, let's give them a +8 racial bonus in each of Hide and Move Silently when underground just to get out of the negative there. What do you think?

I'd like Weapon Focus (slam), but I'm not too bothered about Reckless Offense either way.

Okay, our previous puddings have:
Skills: A dense pudding has a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks. Dense puddings have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

*A dense pudding has a +12 circumstance bonus to Hide checks in natural underground terrain such as caves.

Skills: A gray pudding has a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Move Silently checks. Gray puddings have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

*A gray pudding has a +16 circumstance bonus to Hide checks in natural underground terrain such as caves.
So, how about going for a cut down version of the dense pudding's bonuses?:

Skills: A stone pudding has a +4 [or +8?] racial bonus on Listen and Move Silently checks. Stone puddings have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

*A stone pudding has a +8 [or +12?] circumstance bonus to Hide checks in natural underground terrain such as caves.

That would give it...

Skills: Climb +9, Hide -6*, Move Silently +1, Listen +7

As for the feats, Improved Initiative and Weapon Focus (slam) are fine by me. Indeed, it's current attack bonus doesn't work out right without WF, since we lowered its Strength.

Are you OK with the Advancement?

freyar

CR 3? It seems fairly comparable to the gelatinous cube.

Tactics: Stone puddings climb the walls and ceilings of cramped underground passages, hiding until prey passes beneath. Then they fall on their victims, taking and dealing falling damage, and constrict the most vulnerable of their opponents.

Cleon

Legend
CR 3? It seems fairly comparable to the gelatinous cube.

Gelatinous cubes have a DC20 paralysis attack plus Engulf, which is nasty. They might be under-CRd.

Compared to an Ogre, the Stone Pud has roughly 70% more hp, the same AC, a significantly worse attack (+8 & 16 average damage vs +4 & 11.5 average damage), but also has lots of immunities plus spell resistance.

It's also got better skills!

Also, the Split SQ potentially increases its offensive ability several fold if it get hit by fire or lightning several times.

Hmm, maybe it ought to be a CR 4?

Tactics: Stone puddings climb the walls and ceilings of cramped underground passages, hiding until prey passes beneath. Then they fall on their victims, taking and dealing falling damage, and constrict the most vulnerable of their opponents.

Looks alright.

Although it makes me want to switch to the "red option" of a +12 bonus to Hide in caves, otherwise its tactic will hardly ever succeed.

freyar

I think I could do a +12 bonus on Hide in caves. Or else an extra circumstance bonus for being overhead.

Hmmm, looking at it in comparison to the dense and gray puddings, which both have more HD, I'd like to decrease SR a bit. Could I get you to consider decreasing SR to 10 or 11?

I can do CR 3 or 4.

Cleon

Legend
I think I could do a +12 bonus on Hide in caves. Or else an extra circumstance bonus for being overhead.

An extra "overhead bonus" don't seem write. A stone pudding presumably looks like a stone, so it ought to be able to blend in.

Hmmm, looking at it in comparison to the dense and gray puddings, which both have more HD, I'd like to decrease SR a bit. Could I get you to consider decreasing SR to 10 or 11?

I can do CR 3 or 4.

The Stone Pudding had 30%, which is 10% higher than the other Subterranean Puddings which both have 20%. If anything, that argues for it having a spell resistance higher than the others. :cool:

Oh, I noticed one thing while re-reading the AD&D version. The description says:

MCA1 said:
When a pudding kills a victim, it rests upon the dead creature until its body absorbs the flesh. This takes 1-10 rounds. Stone puddings cannot eat metal, wood, leather, and other such objects, which are left behind after they consume their victims.

Do we want to mention that? I don't think I'd bother. Surely it's SOP for all Oozes to rest on dead creatures until they've dissolved everything edible?

Remove ads