• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
So we're agreed on a +12 Hide bonus?

Well, then let's leave the SR at 14.

No, I wouldn't mention sitting on the prey. I think that's pretty normal.

Cleon

Legend
Did we finish arguing about their Challenge Rating? I can't recall.

We were thinking 3 or 4.

They look more like a 4 to me - compare one to a CR4 Dire Boar, Gargoyle or Grey Ooze and they look like they're in the same cricket field.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I agreed with either CR, so CR 4 is fine.

I previously suggested
Tactics: Stone puddings climb the walls and ceilings of cramped underground passages, hiding until prey passes beneath. Then they fall on their victims, taking and dealing falling damage, and constrict the most vulnerable of their opponents.

If you can provide a description, it's all done.

Cleon

Legend
I agreed with either CR, so CR 4 is fine.

I previously suggested
Tactics: Stone puddings climb the walls and ceilings of cramped underground passages, hiding until prey passes beneath. Then they fall on their victims, taking and dealing falling damage, and constrict the most vulnerable of their opponents.

Well I said it "looks alright", but I seem to have forgotten to update it.

If you can provide a description, it's all done.

Might as well put a description straight into an updated Stone Pudding Working Draft.

Cleon

Legend
I was flicking through SJA1 Wildspace the other day and notices an Ooze we've missed, or rather part of an Ooze we missed.

The Silver Slime in that adventure has another phase to its life-cycle that is not possessed by standard Silver Slimes, described thusly:

The Silver Slimes

By a subtle effect of the Arcane enchantment on the Ravager’s interior, the slimes acquire an additional mission and an extra life-cycle stage when inside it.

The silver slime plasmodia not only seal cracks in the walls and absorb dust; they work as antibodies against invaders. The slimes acquire an acid touch that inflicts 1d6 damage on intruders. This should surprise the PCs, since the slimes were so benign earlier. What’s more, once one slime discovers an intruder, suddenly 1d10 slimes converge on that location each turn!

Nonetheless, these hardly present a major threat to the PCs; the slimes move too slowly. Hence, the new stage in the life-cycle.

Megalium: AC 7: MV 12; HD 8+1: hp 40; #AT one per PC; Dmq 4-24; SA as dun pudding; SD pudding immunities; AL N; THACO 13.

The silver slime’s "megalium" stage is not described in the creature’s listing in the appendix. PCs trigger this stage by damaging the Ravager, or Tobart can trigger it to fight the PCs while he’s busy destroying Tyrant Ships.

The megalium is a giant aggregate of all the plasmodia aboard the Ravager. A dark grey blob about 100 feet in diameter vs. ships, it is only elephant-sized versus PCs afoot. The megalium can extend many tendrils over a wide area, so it can attack each PC once per round.

Treat the amount of megalium facing each PC as a single dun pudding (Monstrous Compendium, Volume 1, "Puddings, Deadly"). However, stage its corrosive effects as the torches and other devices that the silver slime can produce (see its description in the appendix). If a PC can beat the slime/pudding, the character has cut through the monstrous blob and escaped. If all the PCs defeat their pudding equivalents, the megalium is destroyed or has retreated.

Cleon

Legend
So do you think we should edit this into the Silver Slime entry or treat it as a separate monster?

It's in the same adventure that the Silver Slime debuted in, so I think it makes more sense appending it to the current entry in an underbar.

Remove ads