• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Microscopic Monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, Protiston would only have needed to roll a 11+ to develop mass frog. Still, I can go for that. I guess it can cast 3 epic spells per day, so should it know 3 different epic spells? What should we say Protiston has developed?

Cleon

Legend
Well, Protiston would only have needed to roll a 11+ to develop mass frog. Still, I can go for that. I guess it can cast 3 epic spells per day, so should it know 3 different epic spells? What should we say Protiston has developed?

I'm tempted to leave it up to the DM, but appropriate or usefull spells of suitable DC include the aforementioned contingent resurrection and mass frog (except it turn victims into tiny oozes?), plus create living vault (there's a mention of it using modified macrobes as treasure containers/guardians, which that epic spell fits to), let go of me, peripety, verdigris (except with macrobial slime rather than plants?).

freyar

I like mass frog (using amoeboid slime mold), create living vault, and slimy verdigris, I think. Of course, there's nothing to stop us giving it more epic spells known if you like.

Cleon

Legend
I like mass frog (using amoeboid slime mold), create living vault, and slimy verdigris, I think. Of course, there's nothing to stop us giving it more epic spells known if you like.

How about adding raise island to its Epic Spells? The flavour text says it wants to shape the world to suit itself and that it likes to live in coral reefs and shoreline caves, so that spell would fit.

We'll need to modify the Spells entry a bit, or add an Epic Spells SA.

Protiston is capable of casting epic spells. It has 3 epic spell slots per day. Its immensely long life gives protiston plenty of time to develop epic spells. It prefers epic spells of Transformation or Conjuration, and never develops an epic spell that does fire damage. Typical epic spells for protiston are
create living vault, raise island, mass blob (as the epic spell mass frog, except it turns targets into Tiny-sized amoeboid blobs with the stats of toads) and slime tsunami (as the epic spell verdigris, except it overgrows the area with slimy bacterial mats instead of plants).

freyar

Could mass blob just give the victims the physical stats of a Tiny amoeboid slime mold? (We could put in a link.) Or do you feel the power level of the slime mold is too far off from a frog?

Cleon

Legend
Could mass blob just give the victims the physical stats of a Tiny amoeboid slime mold? (We could put in a link.) Or do you feel the power level of the slime mold is too far off from a frog?

Compared to a typical Epic Level Character, the power-difference between a toad and an amoeboid slime mold is negligible.

I was hesitant to change the target creature's power level because I feared that might affect the Spellcraft DC of the Epic Spell, but after re-reading the rules it doesn't look like it'd make any difference, so we might as well use the Slime Mold's amoeba.

Revising...

Protiston is capable of casting epic spells. It has 3 epic spell slots per day. Its immensely long life gives protiston plenty of time to develop epic spells. It prefers epic spells of Transformation or Conjuration, and never develops an epic spell that does fire damage. Typical epic spells for protiston are create living vault, raise island, mass blob (as the epic spell mass frog, except it turns targets into Tiny-sized amoeboid slime molds) and slime tsunami (as the epic spell verdigris, except it overgrows the area with slimy bacterial mats instead of plants).

freyar

Sporocarp (Ex): Protiston can form its body into sporocarps -- objects that resemble mushrooms about 10 feet tall -- as a full round action. It can use its Self-Division ability to form any part of its body into a sporocarps. A sporocarp has the same spellcasting ability as an equivalently sized slug, and it gains Automatic Silent Spell (x3) and Automatic Still Spell (x3) as bonus feats in sporocarp form.

Partially developed sporocarps are soggy and covered with damp mucus, giving them fire resistance X. Such a sporocarp does not have mature spores or a spore attack.

A mature sporocarp is dried-out and has vulnerability to fire. The head of the "mushroom" is hollow and filled with spores about an inch long. It is AC 1, hardness XX, and takes XXX hit points of damage to destroy, but any weapon damage which does not destroy the sporocarp causes it to split open and release its spores. The spores scatter in a cloud covering a 30 foot radius and attach themselves to any organic matter they touch (including living creatures), which they immediately start to digest, doing XdX points of acid damage per round (the acid damage only harms organic materials such as flesh or wood). On the first round of contact, the spores can be scraped off a creature (exposing the scraping device to the spores' acid damage), but after that it must be frozen, burned, or cut away (dealing damage to the victim as well). Anything that deals cold or fire damage, sunlight, or a remove disease spell destroys a spore infestation.

Given enough time and food, Protiston can regrow its entire body from even a single spore.

To fill in the blanks, the original (from standard slime molds) sporocarp had fire resistance 5 in soggy form. In hard form, it has AC 1, hardness 5, and takes 120 hit points to destroy. The spores do 2d4 acid per round. Want to boost those any?

Cleon

Legend
Sporocarp (Ex): Protiston can form its body into sporocarps -- objects that resemble mushrooms about 10 feet tall -- as a full round action. It can use its Self-Division ability to form any part of its body into a sporocarps. A sporocarp has the same spellcasting ability as an equivalently sized slug, and it gains Automatic Silent Spell (x3) and Automatic Still Spell (x3) as bonus feats in sporocarp form.

Partially developed sporocarps are soggy and covered with damp mucus, giving them fire resistance X. Such a sporocarp does not have mature spores or a spore attack.

A mature sporocarp is dried-out and has vulnerability to fire. The head of the "mushroom" is hollow and filled with spores about an inch long. It is AC 1, hardness XX, and takes XXX hit points of damage to destroy, but any weapon damage which does not destroy the sporocarp causes it to split open and release its spores. The spores scatter in a cloud covering a 30 foot radius and attach themselves to any organic matter they touch (including living creatures), which they immediately start to digest, doing XdX points of acid damage per round (the acid damage only harms organic materials such as flesh or wood). On the first round of contact, the spores can be scraped off a creature (exposing the scraping device to the spores' acid damage), but after that it must be frozen, burned, or cut away (dealing damage to the victim as well). Anything that deals cold or fire damage, sunlight, or a remove disease spell destroys a spore infestation.

Given enough time and food, Protiston can regrow its entire body from even a single spore.

To fill in the blanks, the original (from standard slime molds) sporocarp had fire resistance 5 in soggy form. In hard form, it has AC 1, hardness 5, and takes 120 hit points to destroy. The spores do 2d4 acid per round. Want to boost those any?

I think it should retain the hit points of whatever size piece of Protiston is formed into a Sporocarp, and its spore-cloud should probably do the same acid damage as a piece of that size.

Also, 10 feet tall is how big a Large slime mold's Sporocarp is. A bigger piece of Protiston should have a correspondingly larger 'shroom (or, rather 'carp).

Remove ads