Spell Compendium: Is it worth the $$

Is the Spell Compendium worth the $$

• Absolutely worth every penny for the ease of reference!

Votes: 157 59.2%
  • Nice to have, but not a *huge* help.

Votes: 70 26.4%
  • Not really worth-while to purchase.

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • A complete waste of $$

Votes: 20 7.5%

Kunimatyu

First Post
I got SC a year ago, and even as a DM, it's been one of my most-referenced books, mostly for the one or two signature spells I like to give a BBEG spellcaster. My players use it every single session.

For them, the PHB, SC, and PHB2 are the books that absolutely must be brought to the table. Even the stingy ones usually have a PHB and one of those two.

Glyfair

Explorer
Greylock said:
But it doesn't. Doesn't even come close. It has "some" of them.

Actually, I think it has "most" of the expansion spells. Of course, every time WotC releases a new book with new spells that adds to the list (for example, the PHB II).

Thomas Percy said:
There are no spells from PHB, so it's not a complete book, it's just-another book.

If this had the PHB spells in it, then it would dive in my rankings. I already have a PHB (as do most people who would buy it), why would I want to pay more for those extra pages? I'm bringing my PHB to any game I'm playing, so it wouldn't be saving me anything .

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I'm going to wait until I find it for around half the suggested retail price. There isn't any way I'm paying THAT MUCH for a book of spells, when most of the "useful" ones are already in sources that I own.

KF72

johnsemlak

First Post
This book seems to be and ideal example of a useful book to have physically (not in PDF) lying at the gaming table. In fact, I"d almost think that, like the PHB, two+ copies would be useful.

Remove ads