Spell Compendium: Is it worth the $$

Is the Spell Compendium worth the $$

• Absolutely worth every penny for the ease of reference!

Votes: 157 59.2%
  • Nice to have, but not a *huge* help.

Votes: 70 26.4%
  • Not really worth-while to purchase.

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • A complete waste of $$

Votes: 20 7.5%

Samurai

Adventurer
I voted "Not worth buying"... I play a spellcaster, but one with a limited and proscribed spell list (AEG's Tinker class). Plus I already have all of the books used as sources (but not the Dragon magazines), so I have 90% of the content already. Slightly more ease of use and some errata on content I already own isn't worth anything close to the price of the book for me.

frankthedm

First Post
wingsandsword said:
To me, it's the best WotC release of the year. As somebody who doesn't really want to keep up with Splatbook Of The Month, one big book with (almost) all the spells in it is really a good thing.
Same here. I skipped the wotc splatter books due to product padding PRCs. Plus the revising of the spells allows Wotc to fix some abuses & abusers.

Last edited:

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't typically play a PC, and when I do it usually isn't a spellcaster. That said, I DM 90% of the time, and I thought it would be a great help when looking up NPC spells...

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I don't have the book, but I have checked it out in the store. If you play a spellcaster, I'd say get it. Even if you have all of the books the original spells are found in, it will save you a lot of time to have everything in one book.

Blaque

First Post
Well, I've been finding it has helped me a lot with options on my spell-casting characters, and helped to pad-in stuff more in line with the concepts i'm playing then the default spell list is.

And for someone like me who just got the core set last September, well, having all these spells in one place sure as hell saves a LOT of hastle for me.

And stuff.

Arnwyn

First Post
Not worth buying for me... but I have little interest in a lot of new spells, nor in compiled spells. For this particular DM, there's no value-added.

I can understand why people would be interested in this book, though.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
You do get errata for free. WotC releases errata on their website on a regular basis.
What do you mean by "regular"?

Are you referring to the FAQ? ( :trolling: )

Mouseferatu said:
And no, you aren't entitled to revisions for free, any more than you're entitled to Windows XP because you have Windows ME, or you're entitled to a 2006-model car because you own a 2005 model.
Bad analogy. Better (not perfect) analogy: Having to pay for monthly Windows updates intended to fix issues that shouldn't need fixing in the first place. Oh, and said updates don't properly erase older versions, so expect difficulties due to conflicts between versions.

(Edit: This may be something of a hijack, so feel free to ignore this post.)

Last edited:

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
I really wanted to buy this.

Then I saw that I had almost all of the sources already.

But I still wanted to buy it, so I told myself that the updated spells and ease of use made it worth it.

Then I went to the store to buy it. I picked it up and thumbed through it, and it felt cheap and crappy, like the DMG II and the new Waterdeep sourcebook.

So I put it back on the shelf and didn't buy it.

Sigh.

I am not opposed to spending $40 on a book, but it should look and feel first-rate.

Oh yeah, and by the way, the original mock-up for the cover was WAAAAAY cooler than the actual cover is. Whattup wid dat?

Remove ads