• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Criticals?

Genysys

First Post
In the PHB, I remember reading something about the fact that spell to-hit rolls can crit. Am I wrong or can this happen? If it can, what happens when it does crit?

Kraedin

First Post
If a spell has an attack roll, and does some kind of damage, then it has a 20/x2 critical.

For example, a critical hit from an enervation would drain twice as many levels, and a crit from a ray of frost would do 2d3 damage.

Baalzebul

First Post
You remember right. It is mentioned on PHB p125, Magic Actions, Cast a Spell, Touch Spells in Combat. There is a further commentary on Tome and Blood p79.

To put it briefly touch attacks delivering spells threaten on a 20. If it is a confirmed critical, damage is doubled. If the spell inflicts initial damage and further damage on following rounds, only the initial damage is doubled.

You could improve the threat range by taking Improved Critical in one of the three categories outlined in the FAQ (Ray, Energy missile, Touch Spell). I think the average spell slinger would have better things to burn their feats on by the time they achieve the prequisite BAB for Improved Critical, though.

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
Kraedin said:
If a spell has an attack roll, and does some kind of damage, then it has a 20/x2 critical.

For example, a critical hit from an enervation would drain twice as many levels, and a crit from a ray of frost would do 2d3 damage.

Wasn't there something about enervation in tome and blood? I thought it did some negative energy damage on a critical instead of draining twice as many levels. Of course this could be lack of sleep fogging my mind. ;)

Genysys

First Post
Thanx

Thanx for the quick responses and help. And Kraedin is right:
From Tome & Blood pg. 79-
A critical hit with an energy-draining spell inflicts twice the listed amount; for example a critical hit with an enervation spell bestows 2d4 negative levels.

I just could never find that stuff in the PHB, and I completely forgaot about T&B.

Mahiro Satsu

First Post
Even more fun is that if you have to roll to strike with a spell (ranged touch attack, etc) that does HP damage and the basic conditions are met, spell casters with rogue levels get their sneak attack bonus.

Remove ads