D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

peterka99

First Post
Etienne handled his notebook to remember where to find the two ladies just in case. He then searches for Du Tourbillon. Getting fixed on the skin is now his prime need.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
duTourbillon is at the Colonial Hotel courtyard when Etienne returns. His back is to the “fur hat” as he walks about a map of the Caribbean spread out on two tables. For a moment, Etienne glimpses a nasty scar on the Frenchman’s leg where the man’s stockings have bunched, but upon noticing Etienne, duTourbillon quickly fixes it and turns around, leaning on his cane for support. ”Ah, Monsieur Rougeau, you’ve returned!”

”I trust your foray was successful in procuring a—“ Upon seeing Etienne produce the pearl, duTourbillon takes it into his hand, rolling it over between his fingers. ”Oui, that should do nicely.” Noticing Etienne’s eye on the map, he nods his head for Etienne to come examine it with him. There are three black circles with X’s thru them on the eastern end of the map. ”Past sites treasure hunters have searched for Le Gloriosa. To no avail.” There are several notations duTourbillon has made on the sides which are hard to decipher, perhaps a personal code.

Sighing, duTourbillon offers a weak smile, raising the pearl. ”Well, let’s put your effort to work, shall we? This shan’t take but a minute. If you’ll lay the skin on the ground here?” He draws an owl feather from his vest pocket, anointing it to both his eyes and ears, then lays it atop the white buffalo skin. Kneeling besides it he begins rubbing the pearl in between his palms while uttering an incantation in archaic French. The pearl turns into lustrous powder in his hands, falling on top of the skin.

Opening his eyes, du Tourbillon stands up with some effort. C'est très interessant. This white skin pulls disease and illness into itself from either its wearer or the nearby environment. Quite useful. I’ve never seen an enchantment like it!” He returns the white buffalo skin to Etienne.

peterka99

First Post
Opening his eyes, du Tourbillon stands up with some effort. C'est très interessant. This white skin pulls disease and illness into itself from either its wearer or the nearby environment. Quite useful. I’ve never seen an enchantment like it!” He returns the white buffalo skin to Etienne.

For the second time today, Etienne is disappointed by the magick mastered by learned men. He already knew the answer. His own Native Litanies are much more effective. Well, remembering the man may be used to servile European French and still wanting him as a buyer or in-between for his wares, he again produced his best smile and said:

"I always suspected the skin to be a dream-catcher. I got severe nightmares since I took possession of it. I would like to know how to cleanse it so it can help with the Ladies' curse. How maybe its absorption power is not at its end ? "

Pointing the maps:

"I would like to finance and join the expedition myself. I'm sure a man of your stature, grace and charm may arrange meeting with fine buyers in the Caribbean for the wares I showed you earlier. With a few hundred extra pounds I would be able to buy the mandatory medical and navigation wares for the journey ".

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
duTourbillon arches his brow, "Cleanse it? I'm not certain what sort of drivel your shamans and root-workers have been feeding you, but I assure you the skin's magical properties are fully functioning. Monsieur, you could carry it into a pox quarantine and emerge thru the other side as clean and unblemished as a saint!"

His assistant, a swarthy man of East Indian descent, comes over carrying an armful of scroll cases. At this duTourbillon removes his spectacles and rubs his eyes. "If you have skills that can serve this mission, I entrust you to the capable hands of Captain Katerina du Corazon. Whether she can use you on her crew, what your shares in the expedition shall be, and what discretionary funding she wishes to allocate to your purchases, Captain du Corazon will be the deciding factor. You can find her at Blackreef's Tavern. Bonne chance Monsieur Rougeau." He bows stiffly, turning once more to his preparations.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
The door to the reserved room in the back of the tavern was ajar, and beneath the sign labeled Captain's Quarters, identifying the room for patrons, Barrington is canoodling discretely -- more or less -- with Polly. When he notices the others approach, their faces separate and Prydwen discretely absents herself and goes to wiping tables in the main room, her eyes on the floor as if he did not want to stand accused of anything. As he watched her go, Barrington wondered if she were smiling as he was. But now to business, he thinks.

He didn't know how del Corazon would respond when she saw him. Indeed he was relatively certain that she had no knowledge of his participation in the fight the previous night, but surely they were both tired. He turned his back anyways and walked fully into the rented room, where he sat, leaning against his barrel of limes. His jacket is still partially unbuttoned, Polly's handiwork.

"Captain," he began, once he had turned to look at her again."I... appreciate your coming. You've had a busy day." His pronunciation of appree-see-ate is drawn out, as if he were considering the word, and the soft c inevitably sounded condescending, which was not his purpose at this time. Barrington did not know what Kid had said to make this meeting happen, but when the lad appeared as well, his head poking out from beside her, he smiled his gratitude. With a slight nod and the beginnings of a smirk, he simply says, "Kid."

Barrington sets right down to business. "I know you are fitting a ship, and I believe you are missing some cannon. I have them. Indeed, I believe I have secured all of them." He pauses for a moment. "We both know you are rushed, and there are rival expeditions bound for the same destination. I'm prepared to sell the guns to you, or, if you lack sufficient funds, to propose an alternative arrangement. But I'm afraid we must come to terms today." He reaches for his watch to see how long it is before he is due aboard the Winchelsea, but of course finds it missing.

"I want to make this work," he adds, his eyes narrowing on her. The swivel gun stands in the corner of the room, and the ammunition. He doesn't mention it, but their presence will, he hopes, save any time negotiating the facts of the matter. "I have plenty of shot, and for five hundred pound your four missing demiculverins will again be on the Coral Curse. These are the only cannon available at this time in Nassau, I assure you. If you prefer, we can find appropriate terms for only some of them."

[sblock="for my ref"]
post 391: B promised share and a half, master gunner on Winchelsea
post 473: 250 still owed to Roy
[/sblock]

Once inside the tavern, and confronted with having to deal with Barrington, Katerina relaxed, but only slightly. There were much more dangerous people around the Island to have to deal with yet she was not sure of the man's intentions. As the group proceeded to the Captain's room, Katerina stopped by the bar and motioned for a bottle of rum and some glasses. She threw a couple of coins onto the bar then scooped everything up and proceeded to join the group.

As Barrington spoke she sat at the table and relaxed into the chair, listening carefully while pouring herself a glass. She poured three more small glasses and pushed each one in the direction of the occupants of the room, including the boy, whom she smiled at easily. Surely he would be proud of himself for arranging such a meeting and she actually was proud of him for having the wherewithal to be looking out for her and setting things up. It was however a little odd that he would not have told her about Barrington. She pushed that to the back of her mind for the moment.

Kat sipped at her rum until Barrington was finished, while her monkey hopped off her shoulder and went exploring through the room, looking for her own treasure. She hopped over near Kid and stole her own lime, working at getting it open while the humans continued the boring people speak.

The Captain took a moment to consider before speaking, addressing Nia first. "Feel free to stay Nia, I do not require more privacy than this, of course, if Señor Barrington is also not opposed. And if you feel comfortable being here."

The girl remained relaxed in her chair while she crossed her long legs and set her teal colored eyes on the British man. "What exactly is it that you want to make work, Señor? Me purchasing your guns for money, or something more? Why go through all the trouble of arranging this little meeting? I did not get the impression that you wanted to help us, or me, on our mission, surely this is not just out of the goodness of your heart. Let us just be clear with any intentions now por favor."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Barrington with a gesture indicates that he doesn't mind if Nia stays.

The girl remained relaxed in her chair while she crossed her long legs and set her teal colored eyes on the British man. "What exactly is it that you want to make work, Señor? Me purchasing your guns for money, or something more? Why go through all the trouble of arranging this little meeting? I did not get the impression that you wanted to help us, or me, on our mission, surely this is not just out of the goodness of your heart. Let us just be clear with any intentions now por favor."

"I cannot help your impressions. I bear no hostility to you, and you know that I was trying to help you in your negotiations, though I understand it did not seem that way at the time. So I have acted, in a way designed to attract your notice.

I am seeking La Gloriosa, as are you. And I am going to find her. But I am offering you the cannon. If you wish to buy them, well and good. I make a tidy profit that helps me in the short term, and our business is concluded. This will, however, be the only way you will get them. If you cannot make my price, I have another buyer, and killing me or offering threats will not change that.

You indicated that you value principles of piracy, an abstract notion for which you have a personal definition. Let's see if I have understood you properly. I am not robbing you, but on your terms I am demonstrating my worth."

He paused, looked at the drink, and instead took a lime, following Kid's example. As he bites into it, his face puckers. He considers mentioning his contribution to the fight at night, but decides not to; it's not really relevant.

"If you do not want to buy them all, it may be that you want some. For that I am willing to consider... offers. But time is short, and you are departing soon.

If you are still looking for officers, I remain available.

Your ship is small, and so there will be fewer shares. Each will be proportionately larger for me when the treasure is found. But a day is a long time and I am now in a position to negotiate, and improve my situation. Again, I trust this demonstrates my worth. If you ask, I can fight alongside you. Or fit where you have need. Where once my advice was yours unbidden, now it is contingent on what you offer.

Let me know whether you want to improve your armaments, or whether, recognizing piracy takes many forms, I might indeed be of use to the Coral Curse."

[section] Kid drank down his rum in one go, refilled his cup from Katerina's bottle, then drank down that cup all in one. He stood up from the table and refilled the others' cups, then reseated himself. Katerina recognized the gesture as conciliatory.

Kid picked up his lime and put it to his lips. He started to say something then stopped. Jim and Kat would have to work this out on their own. Still, he stood by ready to interject in case things headed south.

Kid finished his lime and left it to lay on the table. He picked up his empty cup, considered it, then put it down. A marvel of self-restraint in a lad of predilection. The boy stuck his hand in his breeches pocket, where he fingered the watch. The smooth heft of the small object gave him confidence.

OOC: Using Thieves' Cant by way of pouring more rum for everone, sitting in a neutral location, and letting Barrington do most of the talking, to import to Katerina that Kid considers everyone present an equal.

He views himself as Barrington's retainer, though Kat would easily guess that if that's the case Kid is likely a paid retainer. It was clear that for today the boy had probably earned a coin or two for helping Barrington make contacts on the island, herself included.

[Sblock=For Wendy only, edited out but retained for future use]"I see the doubt in yer eyes, Cap'n. Maybe I shoulda tol' you it were cap'n ye'd be treatin' wit'. If there's fault, it're mine. I didna think you knew him, an' cain't be too careful. 'Specially not wit' eavesdroppers all 'round. Saw one jess on me way ter find ya at the Colonial, funny looking sort he were. Watching you, an' had a gris gris bag on 'im. Ran 'im off when I came round the bend." Kid once again tried but failed spectacularly to emulate James's proper English, with predictably laughable results. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Katerina looked at Barrington critically, her brows coming together while she looked him over. She drank down the rest of her rum and poured herself a new glass. She looked at it for a moment, as it sat in front of her so temptingly, before she ignored it, coming out of her seat to pace around the small room as she spoke.

"Here is what I heard. You want me to buy your cannons. You care about the treasure. You think you have proven something to me by acquiring something that you think I need. You are being bonito by offering the guns to me first, but not too nice because you already have someone else in mind to buy." She paused. "Perhaps I have forgotten something there, as you mentioned, it HAS been a long night."

She stopped her pacing and crossed her arms while she leaned up against the table, facing Jim. "Here is what I am telling you. I don't care about the guns. Do I need them? Yes. Are there a million ways to acquire them? Of course. Do I have the money for them? Yes. Do I care about any of that? No. Am I going to find La Gloriosa? Without a doubt. Will there be treasure beyond compare for those who join me? It seems that way.

However, what I absolutely NEED,"
She accentuated the word in her Spanish drawl, "NEED, Is someone who doesn't care about the treasure or the money. I am looking for crew, not necessarily the swabs but the crew who I will care about and protect and am trusting with this most important mission, crew that do not care about the money. Crew that NEED to complete this mission as I need to complete it. Crew that would DIE in pursuit of finding this ship. Oh yes, each one may have a piece of gold or other treasure they are looking for, this I understand. But they are not just looking for La Gloriosa to find any random gold coin or sparkling gem. They are doing this because they HAVE to. I will not put my life and the life of my crew, my familia, in the hands of someone who is just looking for any random treasure of value. Those scurvy dogs can go sail under the flag of that bastard Wallace," she spit on the ground near her boot at his name.

"There were times over the past night that I imagined having your sword at our side might have been of value. But only if that sword has the right goals, goals that match up with the rest of the crew. I do not value a threat, if you want to go to another ship, then go. If you do not like my methods, then go. My father in my place would have slit your throat for thinking I have something to prove to you. Either you want to be on our crew or not, that is your choice. My officers are entrusted to make decisions in my stead and I MUST know in my heart that they are making the right choices for the right reasons.

So you are the one with a decision. Either you are asking to be on the crew for the right reasons, or you are not. Once you decide that then the armamento situation will take care of itself."

Shayuri

First Post
Still smiling to herself, Nia glanced away to keep an eye on the rest of the inn. Barrington and Katerina seemed to have things well in hand, after all.

She spied a familiar face coming in, and with a murmured excusal she went to meet Etienne.

"Bonjour," Nia said in her Carib accent as she met him. "I was beginning to tink you'd given up."

Remove ads