D&D 5E Spell Preparation: Leaving Slots Open

MG.0

First Post
It seems reasonable that since the PHB gives the amount of time it takes to prepare your spells that the process could (however unlikely) be interrupted. So, what happens when a DM decides a wizard's spell preparation has been interrupted? Does he get nothing, or does he get a partial list? The latter seems more 'realistic' and would be what I would gravitate towards in my game. That begs the question of whether he could resume after the interruption was dealt with. If you decide he can, then the idea that a wizard could defer preparing the rest of his spells until later is no stretch. Definitely not the way the rules were written, but I think it makes sense enough to allow in my games. Maybe someone will leave a space for some non-combat spells that typically get ignored.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Thanks for agreeing! lol! In all seriousness, I said the same the thing in the portion you quoted, and I agree, it does say "can" and is clear that you "can" prepare spells or not. I was pointing that fact as well. So on that point, we agree. I think what you missed is that what is debated is not that you can choose to prepare or not to prepare a spell list (that is not the question, nyuk nyuk), but rather the nature of what is contained on the list.

Here is a thought experiment: A wizard loses his spellbook, so he is now "stuck" with his prepared spell list. And let's say the evil DM has a legendary Mind Flayer suck out part of his memories, including 3 spells off his prepared spell list (poor wizard). So now he actually has less spells prepared than he is allotted. But then the wizard finds a book with one spell. So he can choose to keep his prepared spells as-is with 3 spells short or he can now prepare a new list that is 2 spells short but that means preparing a list with less spells than allotted! What happened? Did the DM break any rule (we are ignoring DM rulings and focused on rules here) by "erasing" some prepared spells? Was that ok and well within DM purvey, assuming he built a "balanced" Legendary Mind Flayer with that unusual ability? Are we saying, by the rules, a DM (or adventure writer, or WOTC) can't create a monster that erases spells from the mind? So much for a 5E version of Nishru or the Arcane ooze. "Clearly" some people are saying the poor wizard can't increase his spell list by one spell because that would result in a list too short!

I still maintain the rules are silent on whether you "can prepare" a list with less than your full allotment of spells. All without "reading too much into whats written". In fact, I think its the other way around. Saying the rules are clear that you must have a spell list of your full allotment is reading too much into it.

I think it's fine to prepare a list that is short. I think the crux of the issue is you can only prepare a list once a day. You cannot then fill the empty spots later in the day with a second preparation.

Though, again, I don't think anything will break if you do allow multiple preparations in a day. I think it would work just fine, balance-wise.

jrowland

First Post
Why are you debating that notion? Why is it important? What player is going to prepare less than a full allotment without the possibility of filling in the rest of the prep slots later in the day?

To me, that's a non-issue.

I think it's fine to prepare a list that is short. I think the crux of the issue is you can only prepare a list once a day. You cannot then fill the empty spots later in the day with a second preparation.

Though, again, I don't think anything will break if you do allow multiple preparations in a day. I think it would work just fine, balance-wise.

It was discussed up thread. You would prepare less than your full allotment on day 1. Then on Day 2 (or 3 or 4 etc) you could then fill the rest (or some) of those slots on that day. So Imagine a player on a "downtime" day, preps all spells but 1 per level. Then, on some later day, say when the adventure is going on in earnest they come across something that an unprepared spell would be a perfect solution for. The player (who has had a long rest) prepares the perfect spell and then casts it.

That is "why" you would do it, the downside being your spell selection is limited for "immediate use" ie combat, but broadened for casual use (yeah, give me a few minutes to prepare a spell).

Some have argued against preparing later in the day and read it to be immediately after a short rest only. But thats another interwebargument

KarinsDad

Adventurer
It was discussed up thread. You would prepare less than your full allotment on day 1. Then on Day 2 (or 3 or 4 etc) you could then fill the rest (or some) of those slots on that day. So Imagine a player on a "downtime" day, preps all spells but 1 per level. Then, on some later day, say when the adventure is going on in earnest they come across something that an unprepared spell would be a perfect solution for. The player (who has had a long rest) prepares the perfect spell and then casts it.

That is "why" you would do it, the downside being your spell selection is limited for "immediate use" ie combat, but broadened for casual use (yeah, give me a few minutes to prepare a spell).

Some have argued against preparing later in the day and read it to be immediately after a short rest only. But thats another interwebargument

This makes little sense.

If he has his spell books, he would prep an entire list ahead of time, followed by prepping his entire list after a long rest.

Is it possible that the DM might throw an encounter at the PCs in the 10 or 20 or 30 minutes after the long rest? Sure. Likely? Probably not, especially at higher levels when wizards prepare other rest options and spells.

The only thing saved is some time immediately after the long rest. In my experience, game time is not that critical, otherwise, PCs would not be able to take short rests.

Remove ads