D&D 5E Spell Rarities

Reynard

Legend
In my next campaign I am going to curate various PC options at the start of play to reflect a somewhat grounded fantasy world. The actual campaign is a sandbox in the wild full of wonder and magic and horror, so that stuff will be discoverable during play.

By far the biggest list of things to deal with is spells, so i thought I would crowd source a little, if you would be so inclined.

What PHB spells do you think would fall into different "rarity" categories (common, uncommon, rare, very rare, unique). Note that it isn't really about power level so much as what would be found in a functioning civil society. That is, fireball might be rare (in the hands of the military-arcano complex only) not because of its power, but because it would be controlled. Stone to Flesh might by very rare simply because it has been lost to time, while Raise Dead and similar spells might have been actively suppressed.

Note also that most of the reasoning is just background flavor. The characters will be exploring the Land Beyond the Wall and discovering ancient spellbooks and magics written on the walls of tombs, etc.

Thanks!

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
Any spell that is a racial spell would be common.

I think any spell with a complicated or expensive material component would be rare; they may have been used less frequently and fallen into obscurity.

Out of combat practicality will probably relate to rarity - levitate and spider climb have some quality of life uses. Witch Bolt not so much.

aco175

Legend
I guess it depends on your purpose on limiting spells. I generally have PHB spells as the ones that PCs can take and other books have spells that are controlled by a school or academy or limited to a specific mage. There is also a limiting factor by spell level where 1st level spells are more common that 5th or 9th which get more rare as the number of people that can cast them lessens.

Reynard

Legend
I guess it depends on your purpose on limiting spells. I generally have PHB spells as the ones that PCs can take and other books have spells that are controlled by a school or academy or limited to a specific mage. There is also a limiting factor by spell level where 1st level spells are more common that 5th or 9th which get more rare as the number of people that can cast them lessens.
My primary purpose is to a model a world that isn't mundane -- there is magic -- but is still reasonable and predictable and stable. All so the PCs can wander off into the wild and discover that the world isn't really that way at all, of course.

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
I did not mention that this will be a "humans only" campaign as well (at least until campaign events develop to a point where non-humans make sense).
Ah, then that opens up some interesting things where racial spells (for races not present in the culture that is the start point) having regular access to spells thought lost to time.

I'd start drafting lists and keep them short - is there magic above 4th or 5th level in the culture? If there is, do people keep it under even tighter control?

I'd also consider whether or not sorcerers make sense for this setting; and probably use the restricted spell lists for all classes until they gain access to more. Is Sorcery illegal or blasphemous?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I'm gonna ask two questions about the setting and offer some example ideas to help out.

1) Who is keeping the world Predictable and Stable?
If "The Church" is the answer, here, then Divine Magic should be rare in the quantity of people who use it, but face no spell limitations whatsoever. The Church holds all, or the majority of, the power. Inquisitions might be something that happens where Arcane magic is viewed as "Wicked" and practitioners are hunted, even killed, for their actions.

If "Mundane Nobility" is the answer, here, then combat-magic should be highly regulated. Possibly kept under literal lock and key in keeps, castles, and barracks and issued -only- to soldier-wizards through the arcano-military complex. While more mundane magics (Prestidigitation, Mending, Animal Messenger) might be something found in the hands of a provincial hedge-wizard. Should someone cast spells outside the "Approved" list they could become a Criminal and face consequences.

If the answer is "No One" then it might be best to just look at the spells and ask yourself what spells would be cast on a common enough basis to be remembered throughout a long time of little magical need.

2) What sort of Story are you looking to tell?
I know you're going for "The world is actually way more magical than you know, and you'll learn that during play" as an angle, which is a fun direction to go! But I more mean whether it's going to center around a violent dichotomy of the world within society and the world without. If the players are going to go out into the world and slowly discover magic and bring some of it back that's one thing. But if society is trying to keep the magic and chaos out through magic-limitations there could be a "War" brewing, or at least skirmishing. That should help shape what spells are available.

I suggest you to don’t bother with actual spell, but make rare spell some upgrade version of spells.
Like the 4th level fireball that deal 12d6.
The ray of enfeeblement that don’t ask an attack roll, and use a will save.
The wittch bolt that have its ongoing damage improve with upcast, and a better range!
some spell without concentration, better range, lower level, and so on.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I would probably have spells that are White or Green in M:tG terms (healing, nature-y, protective) be common, reflecting their homeland as a bubble of safety and security. The stronger offensive spells, and the more wacky utility spells would be the rare stuff they have to adventure for.

Reynard

Legend
I'm gonna ask two questions about the setting and offer some example ideas to help out.

1) Who is keeping the world Predictable and Stable?
If "The Church" is the answer, here, then Divine Magic should be rare in the quantity of people who use it, but face no spell limitations whatsoever. The Church holds all, or the majority of, the power. Inquisitions might be something that happens where Arcane magic is viewed as "Wicked" and practitioners are hunted, even killed, for their actions.

If "Mundane Nobility" is the answer, here, then combat-magic should be highly regulated. Possibly kept under literal lock and key in keeps, castles, and barracks and issued -only- to soldier-wizards through the arcano-military complex. While more mundane magics (Prestidigitation, Mending, Animal Messenger) might be something found in the hands of a provincial hedge-wizard. Should someone cast spells outside the "Approved" list they could become a Criminal and face consequences.

If the answer is "No One" then it might be best to just look at the spells and ask yourself what spells would be cast on a common enough basis to be remembered throughout a long time of little magical need.
These are good questions and good suggestions. I will think on this stuff. Thanks.
2) What sort of Story are you looking to tell?
I know you're going for "The world is actually way more magical than you know, and you'll learn that during play" as an angle, which is a fun direction to go! But I more mean whether it's going to center around a violent dichotomy of the world within society and the world without. If the players are going to go out into the world and slowly discover magic and bring some of it back that's one thing. But if society is trying to keep the magic and chaos out through magic-limitations there could be a "War" brewing, or at least skirmishing. That should help shape what spells are available.
I don't generally ever have a story to tell. I have a situation and a setting and the players will do the rest. But it is definitely worth considering what happens when they decide at 9th level that they can head back to "civilization" and bully the so-called Arcanists Guild because they know teleport (or whatever).

Remove ads