• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Slots Above 9th Level Resulting From Class Levels

RainOfSteel

Explorer
I have the distinct impression that years ago (2001-2002) I read a set for rules for progression in spell slots above 9th level, such as from 20th a level Wizard with prestige class level spell progression, is the idea my possibly faulty memory is trying to suggest to me.

These spell slots could be used for the purpose of preparing spells with metamagic effects that cause their effetive level to go above 9th. (I also distinctly remember reading something about quickened meteor swarm, timestop, etc.; wouldn't they require a 13th level spell slot?)

I have been going over all of my books, and have Googled extensively.

I have located Improved Spell Capacity (which isn't what I was thinking of), and the Epic Level progression for bonus spells from high Ability scores (this is close, but I'm thinking of such a chart related to caster level).

I have also located a variety of forum discussion which mention this, but don't quite explain it. (One topic from back in 2002 even mentioned FRCS, which was the source I originally thought I'd read this from, but I've searched through the book three times to no avail.)

Can someone either point out that my memory is faulty so I can stop this search or kindly lead me past my blindspot?

Hmm... You could be talking about the 'epic' rules from the 3.0 Forgotten Realms Campaign setting... Where instead of taking a level of, "wizard" or whatever, you took a level of, "next spell level" or something like that.

Other than that, there is Improved Spell Capacity... and a few alternate epic spellcasting variants out there...

Later
silver

hanniball

First Post
I can think of one way to do this that is 3.5 compatible, but have no idea what would have been available in 2001.

The Illumian race has a form of Divine Metamagic that effectively increases the level of a spell by the number of Turn Undead attempts you spend when casting a spell. Combine this with the Sanctum Spell metamagic feat (CD) and the Earth Spell feat (RoS) to effectively cast an 11th level spell while in your sanctum. Use these abilities when leveling up and choosing a feat. Select the Extra Slot feat (CA) to get yourself a 10th lvl spell slot (and, arguably, bonus spells from a high ability score) Do this every time your selecting a feat to gain increasingly higher spell slots useable for metamagic-enhanced spells.

Either way...just my 2 cp

RainOfSteel

Explorer
Michael Silverbane said:
Hmm... You could be talking about the 'epic' rules from the 3.0 Forgotten Realms Campaign setting... Where instead of taking a level of, "wizard" or whatever, you took a level of, "next spell level" or something like that.
Where is that located?

RainOfSteel

Explorer
Mistwell said:
Arcana Evolved, by Monte Cook, does this without using epic levels.
Too bad for me, as I only bought Arcana Unearthed, but not the successor.

----------------------------

Everyone, thanks for the help!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
RainOfSteel said:
Too bad for me, as I only bought Arcana Unearthed, but not the successor.

----------------------------

Everyone, thanks for the help!

He just took that same material and then added more levels at the end of each class.

RainOfSteel

Explorer
saucercrab said:
What Michael Silverbane said, the 3.0 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.
That is where I have thought it was all along. I've poured over the book looking for it.

Can you let me know the page number?

Remove ads