Spellcasting - why no skill check?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I want more rolls!

The fighter should have to make a Dex check to pull off the necessary footwork to create an opening, then a Wisdom check to spot an opening before finally getting to make that Attack roll.

I've seen a lot of DMs that overdo it with the rolls (and players overdo it by asking to make rolls). It becomes slapstick real fast.

Making a skill check just to cast a spell would certainly dampen the excitement in the new player's eyes when they start to roll a d20 for Magic Missile and the DM tells them "no roll necessary - the magic missiles auto-hit".

I'm with the RAW on this. As others have already said, spells are a limited resource and most already require an attack or saving throw roll. Not to mention, the iconic D&D Wizard has d6 hit dice and can't wear armor - they are already at a disadvantage compared to most other classes, especially at early levels with no AoE spells. I say be careful of taxing their spell casting ability on top of all that.

GlassJaw

Hero
Because magic is common and reliable in the implied D&D setting.

Skill checks for spellcasting is fairly common mechanic in low-magic settings or settings in which magic can be dangerous to the caster.

Something has been bugging me a bit.

Why is spell-casting not a standard skill check in d&d 5e? Everything else is.

Actually, that is not the case. D&D involves 3 different kinds of D20 rolls. Ability checks, Attack rolls and Saving throws.

- Attack a monster. Melee skill check.
Not a skill check. A skill check is an ability check. Attack a monster requires an attack roll.
If it's a melee attack, it requires a melee attack roll
If it's a melee spell attack, it requires a melee spell attack roll

- Fire a bow. Ranged skill check.
Again, not a skill check.
If it's a ranged attack, it requires a ranged attack roll
If it's a ranged spell attack, it requires a ranged spell attack roll

- Jump/sprint. Strength skill check.
Yes, this is a skill check

- Survive near death. Constitution skill check.
This is not a skill check. It is a saving throw.
Survive near death: Con saving throw
Shrug off Frostbite spell: Con saving throw

- Survive in nature. Wisdom skill check.
Yes, this is a skill check

- Any sophisticated scholarly or intellectual activity - Intelligence skill check.
This might be a skill check or just an ability check, depending if it fits a specific skill or not.

Spellcasting is about as difficult as it gets. Whether there are incantations and somatic movements, the prayers offered or material sacrifice. Tossing fireballs - no check in the middle of combat?

Like other actions in D&D, spells usually require a D20 roll, though seldom a skill check.
Chromatic Orb: Make a ranged spell attack roll
Vampiric Touch: Make a melee spell attack roll

Others involve Saving throws
Fireball: Those impacted make Dex saving throw
Hold Monster: Target makes Wis saving throw

Others involve both attack rolls and saving throws
Ray of Enfeeblement
Disintegrate

It just doesn't make sense.
Generally, actions in combat require a roll. Spells are no different. You are talking about adding a second, or in some cases a third roll.

I get it is easy to houserule, but certain people seem to cry out when their speillcaster has to actually roll to cast their spells. Weird, huh?

Not really, I would cry out if I have to make an attack roll for my firebolt and then you throw on a skill check as well. If I fire a bow, I only have to make an attack roll. Seems to be slowing things down for no good reason.

Did the devs ever consider it? Or is the most difficult thing to do in D&D just accepted as "auto-fire" by everyone in here?

Keep in mind that if you require a skill check to fire a firebolt, then require a to hit roll to hit with that firebolt, you are accepting everything else in the game as auto-fire EXCEPT for spells. It's the opposite of the scenario you claim exists now (which doesn't).

devincutler

Explorer
While not a fan of the idea for D&D, many RPGs do have skill checks for magic. Frex, Runequest 3e had skill rolls for magic, which then often required a power vs power check to affect an enemy.

Also, playing a little devil's advocate here, many spells do not require an attack roll or a saving throw. So, one might ask, why is casting a bless spell automatic?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Ability checks aren't an inherent thing underlying the physics of the world, but a method for resolving a question of resolution for adventurers doing adventuring things.

Adventurers can do many things without checks. Some of these things include certain spells.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Also, playing a little devil's advocate here, many spells do not require an attack roll or a saving throw. So, one might ask, why is casting a bless spell automatic?

Because there is no uncertainty as to the outcome and/or no meaningful consequence of failure. You spend the slot, you get a guaranteed result (the spell is cast).

Remove ads