• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spellcrafting a Stilled, Silenced Spell

strongbow

First Post
In Tome & Blood, there is a section on the Spellcraft skill that states there is "no mistaking the concentration that magic requires".

The same section also says that a stilled, silenced spell has a DC of 19 to be spellcrafted ( +2 for stilled, +2 for silenced)

However, in Song & Silence, under the Disguise Spell feat description, the description of the feat implies that a stilled silenced spell cannot be identified through spellcraft.

My interpretation is that it cannot, but that the section on the "no mistaking is correct" Therefore a readied action could disrupt a stilled, silence spell.

Thoughts?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
PHB, page 74, under "Spellcraft:"
DC Task
15 + spell level Identify a spell being cast. (You must see or hear the spell's verbal or somatic components.) No retry.
So if you either hear or see it (or both) being cast, you can identify it - that's what the PHB says...

Trellian

Explorer
Can't imagine anyone identifying a spell from a wizard when all he does is concentrate..

"Ahh... it looks like he's concentrating very fireball-ish!"

Unless you have some means of reading his mind, then...

Demogorge

First Post
From the Spellcraft description in Tome and Blood it seems like a stilled, silent spell is identified by the material components the caster has in hand. Especially since it specifically mentions that the material components can be identified from 60' away. See the section in the PHB on casting spells while grappling, it says casting a stilled spell requires the material components in hand!

I would say the entry in Song and Silence is incorrect. It should say a stilled, silent, materials-eschewed spell cannot be indentified by spellcraft.

Of course, if all you are doing is readying an action when someone casts... I don't think there's any way to not notice them doing it. You should be able to tell they are concentrating on something.

Trellian

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:

The distinct odor of bat guano!

-Hyp.

Ahh... ok.. bad example... but let's say a spell without a material component...

I refuse to believe that a spellcaster can identify a still & silent spell that don't use material components. Sure, you can see he's concentrating, so you MIGHT be allowed to cast dispel magic to counterspell, but it's no way to identify the exact spell...

Maudlin

First Post
What about spells like Suggestion?

Only Verbal component, and that is supposed to be the suggestion itself... can it be detected as spellcasting by Spellcraft?

Trellian

Explorer
Maudlin said:
What about spells like Suggestion?

Only Verbal component, and that is supposed to be the suggestion itself... can it be detected as spellcasting by Spellcraft?

Heh.. tricky one... maybe the wizard just moves his lips, without making any sound. So a Read Lips with a Spellcraft could identify it? Or maybe he suggests it mentally to the victim? No... maybe that's a little far-fetched..

Wolf72

Explorer
circumstance?

you could always give checks that you think are very difficult an additional +2 DC from circumstances?

SpikeyFreak

First Post
I would allow the character to identify it, but the DC would be REALLY high. Something like 40 or 45.

My explanation would be that he can detect the aura of magic that is created when a caster starts a silent/stilled spell.

--Sir Real Spikey

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads