Spelljammer Spelljammer Ship Rules Can Be Seen On The DM Screen Previews Images

According to Reddit user MegamanJB, some of the Spelljammer ship rules can be made out on the DM Screen preview image. They transcribe what they could make out, which includes Ship Encounters, Ship-Ship Starting Distance, Crashing, Shipboard Tasks, Ship Quirks, and Ship Cargo. Ship Encounters d100 - Ship Encounter - Attitude Roll Bombard Leviathan? captained by... (giff warlord) and ...

According to Reddit user MegamanJB, some of the Spelljammer ship rules can be made out on the DM Screen preview image. They transcribe what they could make out, which includes Ship Encounters, Ship-Ship Starting Distance, Crashing, Shipboard Tasks, Ship Quirks, and Ship Cargo.

DCD85845-23E6-4860-9A5C-989DB92A2374.jpeg

Ship Encounters
d100 - Ship Encounter - Attitude Roll

• Bombard Leviathan? captained by... (giff warlord) and ... giff shipmates and 3...
  • ... captained ... explorer
  • Scorpion ship Claws of... captained by H... (hobgoblin captain) and crewed by 1 bugbear (first mate) 8 hobgoblins and 2 hobgoblin priests
  • Shrike ship... captained by Yaj (githyanki...) and crewed by 11 githyanki buccaneers.
  • Space Galleon ... captained by K... (beholder) and crewed by 1 spectator (first mate), 3 cult fanatics and 16 cultists
  • Space Galleon ... captained M... and crewed by 1 invisible stalker (first mate)... aarakocra and 7...)

Ship-to-Ship Starting Distance​

At the start of an engagement...

Distance - Notes

• 250 ft: Long range for... light ... and heavy crossbows.
  • 500 ft: Long range for... and for... crossbows
  • 1000 ft: Beyond the range of most ranged weapons

Crashing​

When a malfunctioning ship crashes into a creature or an object that would presumably damage it....

Size of Creature or Object - Bludgeoning Damage

• Large: 4d10
  • Huge: 8d10
  • Gargantuan:

Shipboard Tasks​

During the uneventful part of a voyage...

d12 - Task

• 1 - Scrape ... off the hull
  • 2 - Scrub ... and dishes in the galley
  • 3 - Chop vegetables in the galley
  • 4 - Swab the deck...
  • 5 - Update the ship's navigational charts which require cartographer's tools.
  • 6 - ... the captain's ...which requires ... tools.

Ship Quirks​

Roll on the Ship Quirks table if you want to add a bit of "personality" to a ship.

d10 - Quirk

• 1 - A chatty ... haunts the cargo hold.
  • 2 - The ... of the hull echoes throughout the ship.
  • 3 - Any creature that ... itself from the ship's ...

Ship Cargo​

To randomly determine what's on the cargo... of a spelljamming ship... If a cargo container is... a character can try to unlock a container using thievery tools doing so with a successful DC 20 dexterity check.

Cheap Cargo​

d12 - Cargo

Expensive Cargo​

d12 - Cargo

• 1 - Crate containing fifty blank ... books (50 gp each)
  • 2 - Crate containing one hundred ... bottles of ink (10 gp each) and one thousands ... (1 gp each)
  • 3 - Crate containing hearty portions of ... flasks of... (50 gp each)
  • 12 - kegs of gunpoweder ... (see "Explosives" in the Dungeon Master's Guide)

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So basically not unique to spelljammer at all with the exception of the first table…

More and more convinced that this incarnation will be little more than a reskinned pirate campaign.
You say this like it's a bad thing. But I'm someone who is currently working on their own "reskinned pirate campaign" at this very moment, and I could use all the resource material I can get. Bring out the cherry-pickers, it's harvest time!

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I know Hasbro would never allow it, but a Feywild campaign based on a darker version of Candyland might actually work....
It would actually make a lot of sense to create a replayable short adventure, generally based on D&D but simplified for young kids, to introduce TTRPGs to a wider group of parents and kids. Find a way to use the board game elements and sell some additional pieces. Make it more of a candy-land expansion.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Nah. Sigil’s a boring rip-off of Doctor Who where the doors lead to random places and the police box doesn’t move. They’re exactly the same. Why anyone would play Planescape instead of Doctor Who makes no sense.
Well, the person that controls the "doors" in each property are a bit different. :)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You run into a lot of Githyanki and Beholder ships in Ghosts of Saltmarsh, or Astral Dreadnoughts...? As shown in that DM screen, let alone the absurdity on display in the trailer?

I honestly am having trouble understanding how you can't see the distinction? Do you think Sigil and Waterdeep are just the same thing...?
Right. I mean, if having a lot of similarity means that it's not worth making, we'd all be playing Greyhawk. Even Sigil is just an important city where stuff happens and the all the planes just places outside the city where more stuff happens. That's just like Greyhawk, right?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sigil? Now that is something original and new, with some original ideas in its make up. Hopefully Spelljammer with come up with something as original as Sigil.
Except that it wasn't really. An important city at the center of everything was done in Greyhawk. And cities being rules by a godlike being was done in Dark Sun. All Sigil is, is a mashup of other done ideas. If you really want to pain with the same broad strokes that you are using on Spelljammer and a planet bound pirate campaign anyway.

TheSword

Legend
Sigil was the literal center of the universe not just an important city and it lay at the spoke of the universe. It had its own language, a unique style of architecture and a unique shape. The city was morphic and could change and alter like a sentient creature. It’s godlike ruler, seemingly had no interest in actually ruling but had mysterious dabus that did certain tasks around the city. Sigil had the 15 philosophical factions that actually ruled the city all wildly different and unique. Some of those factions were quite unlike any other organizations seen in rpg at that point. The mazes were unique as best as I can tell - personal demiplanes to trap malcontents. Sigil wasn’t a port city. It had no docks. It was the first city to be a portal nexus, with portals under arches, regular doorways, bridges and any other bounded space.

It was a detailed enough city to support a very detailed CRPG set in said city. Not exactly common at that point, and is featured extensively in a great many adventures directly - rather than relying on some adjacent dungeon like Undermountain or Castle Greyhawk.

I’m sure you know all this and it may not be your cup of tea, but I’m pretty sure it had a lot of original ideas for rpgs. I’ll happily wait and see if Spelljammer comes up with anything as interesting.

Remove ads

Remove ads