• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Spelljammer Shows Up In The Wild - Check Out The Tables of Contents

Copies of Spelljammer are starting to show up. Mike Long of Tribality is in receipt of the books and has tweeted some photos!

Copies of Spelljammer are starting to show up. Mike Long of Tribality is in receipt of the books and has tweeted some photos!

2.jpeg

052C4CBE-625B-4E6A-8005-D549BB9BC634.jpeg

31C64296-9C83-406C-B915-BA6C3305CE25.jpeg

1.jpeg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Yeah seems that way. Which isn't very different to how the original Spelljammer was conceived, to be clear, but it is somewhat surprising.

I really hope they don't take the same approach with Planescape, but I think it's a done deal that they are, from that UA.
Conceived maybe, but not implemented. The original Spelljammer: Adventures in Space boxed set was full of setting info.

Thommy H-H

Adventurer
We really need to see what's on pages 20 and 21 of the Astral Traveler's Guide. It's in a chapter called "The Astral Plane", but those pages seem to be about Wildspace systems (which are presumably on the Material), and has sections for both "Travel Between Systems" and "Traversing the Astral Sea", which implies they can be separate processes (if they were the same, they would be a single section). So it seems there may be ways to go between systems without using the Astral, but without the actual text, it's not definitively clear if it is...
According to the interviews with Crawford and Perkins, the "Astral Plane" includes both Wildspace and the Astral Sea. Perkins pointed out that astral literally means "of the stars", so it makes sense for Wildspace - being space - to be part of that plane, metaphysically speaking.

I think, by implication, the idea that these are truly separate planes from the Material is being revised (or at least downplayed). But also, Wildspace is more like a liminal region - perhaps comparable to the Border Ethereal? - that straddles both the messy world of mortals and the timeless realm of thought and emotion that connects to the Outer Planes. The Astral Plane as described in the core books is now the Astral Sea (like in 4E), and is just one part of the broader Astral Plane, with also bleeds into the Material in the form of Wildspace. At least that's my guess.

I did assume that they'd have it be like the Astral was hyperspace, or the Warp of Warhammer 40,000: a plane you could purposefully drop into using certain magic/technology that could circumvent having to travel for centuries between stars by going the long way through Wildspace (which would just be the region of the Material outside planetary atmospheres), but it seems not. Rather, the Material Plane consists of individual worlds nested in the Astral Plane, and if you just fly far enough, you pass through the veil. But we'll see...

Honestly, I suspect that what'll appear in the books won't, in fact, be a cosmology fully coherent with the Great Wheel or anything else. I think they may deliberately downplay the role of planar travel in Spelljammer, and just give a nod to the idea of the Outer Planes in the form of Astral Dominions, and not necessarily reference, save in passing, that this "Astral Plane" is the same "Astral Plane" described in the DMG and elsewhere. Basically, Spelljammer will be its own thing, as it always was.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
i post what others post openly online. That’s it. They could be from anybody. If you dint care for it don’t look at the thread.
Likewise with responding to my comment.

I check these threads because I'm excited to see that books are available to purchase...only to find, more often than not, that they're not actually for sale...but rather sitting at the publisher's offices or someone has received a review copy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads