D&D 3E/3.5 Spells (3.5) that prevent resurrection?

Artoomis

First Post
Soul Bind is good, as is using a Barghest or a Barghest's Feast spell, though that only prevents a True Res for 50% of its victims.

So, unless someone comes up with something else, there appears to be no truly foolproof way to keep a True Res from working. One can sure make it difficult, though. :)

Folly

First Post
An item that has a continuous effect of Delay Death and a ring of sustenance, would let the evil NPC simply keep the captured PC is a Iron Maiden. Have the iron maiden have a lead lining and you dont have to worry about divination.

Zurai

First Post
Artoomis said:
"The condition of the remains is not a factor. So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be resurrected, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death. (The remains of a creature hit by a disintegrate spell count as a small portion of its body.)"

So this does not prevent Resurrection, and certainly not a True Resurrection.
Yes, it does. Read Flesh to Stone.
Flesh to Stone said:
If the statue resulting from this spell is broken or damaged, the subject (if ever returned to its living state) has similar damage or deformities. The creature is not dead...
You cannot Resurrect something that isn't dead. Something that's petrified is not considered dead, even if the statue has sustained damage that would be lethal if the statue were alive. Since the statue is reduced to a handful of fine dust by Disintegrate, there's nothing to Stone to Flesh back into a flesh-and-blood being. Thus, perma-death, barring Wish or Miracle to undo the disintegration.

Artoomis

First Post
Zurai said:
Yes, it does.... Read Flesh to Stone.
You cannot Resurrect something that isn't dead. Something that's petrified is not considered dead, even if the statue has sustained damage that would be lethal if the statue were alive. Since the statue is reduced to a handful of fine dust by Disintegrate, there's nothing to Stone to Flesh back into a flesh-and-blood being. Thus, perma-death, barring Wish or Miracle to undo the disintegration.

I suppose one could interpret it either way.

Interesting. If turned to stone and then disintegrated to a pile of dust, I would think it fair to call you dead, and thus subject to Resurrection or True Res.

It's a judgement call.

Artoomis

First Post
Folly said:
An item that has a continuous effect of Delay Death and a ring of sustenance, would let the evil NPC simply keep the captured PC is a Iron Maiden. Have the iron maiden have a lead lining and you dont have to worry about divination.

Some divinations, not all. Discern location, for example, is not stopped by lead.

Zurai

First Post
Artoomis said:
I suppose one could interpret it either way.

Interesting. If turned to stone and then disintegrated to a pile of dust, I would think it fair to call you dead, and thus subject to Resurrection or True Res.

It's a judgement call.
Fine. Stone Shape the statue into a floor for your tower, then. Same effect, really.

Artoomis

First Post
Zurai said:
Fine. Stone Shape the statue into a floor for your tower, then. Same effect, really.

Same ruling, too. I personally would rule that the person is dead if you do enough damage to the statue that a Stone to Flesh would reveal only a dead, mishapen body.

At that point a True Res could work. Well, maybe; that's very DM-dependent.

Folly

First Post
Artoomis said:
Same ruling, too. I personally would rule that the person is dead if you do enough damage to the statue that a Stone to Flesh would reveal only a dead, mishapen body.

At that point a True Res could work. Well, maybe; that's very DM-dependent.

It would have to be when the statue is in a state that can no longer be returned to the statues original form. This is because if the statue loses it head you can still make whole and then cast the Stone to Flesh or Break Enchantment. Thus in both cases as Artoomis said, there is a solid argument for being considered dead.

Remove ads