• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Spells (3.5) that prevent resurrection?

Zurai

First Post
frankthedm said:
I'd definitively say that fine dust is still stone, thus subject to Stone to Flesh, which would make a very soft meat pudding, suitable for Resurrection.
Once it's reduced to dust, you can dump the dust into the ocean (or scatter it into the wind or...) and it becomes effectively impossible to retrieve in order to Stone to Flesh. Short of Wish, of course, which renders this entire exercise irrelevant anyhow. I mean, sure, if you used a precise enough divination, you could track one of the motes of dust, and if you had an eye of minute seeing, you might be able to find it with an epic-level search check... but at that point, you're better off just Wishing.

Sylrae

First Post
you never mentioned an ocean. if its just a pile of dust on the ground, or its mortar in a 30 foot rooms floor/walls/whatever, it could be done. an ocean is more difficult I agree. but they could locate the area its spread over, catch a bucket of sea water in the appropriate area (making sure its still there when they collect it), and check again to see if the water they have shows anything. they dont actually need to see the dust.

then cast stone to flesh on the water, and the body would turn back to flesh in little dust sized pieces scattered through the ocean, as well as in the water collected.

then resurrect the water. youre sure to hit the dust. :p

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Acererak's Attack (don't know the name) killed the body and soul of the character (Acererak ate the soul) and no resurrection was possible.
It was a 10th level spell, though.

I'm guessing a Vile 9th level version is available, that allows a saving throw.

There was a way to use 10th level spells in the old 2nd Edition, from the Book of the Magister, but it was costly in the extreme (and effectively had to be done somewhere other than the Forgotten Realms.)

- You had to be 20th level, have 20 intelligence, and 18 wisdom.
- You had to have a 2nd wizard of 18th level, 18 intelligence, and 18 wisdom to serve as an anchor (An Eidolann of yourself would work, if it was high enough level. A Clone would work ... before it tried to kill you ...)
- The first casting of the spell (one time only thing) always failed, but you suffered all the penalties of attempting it.
- You lost 1 level, dropping to the lowest number of experience points needed to hold the next level down (a Greater Restoration would be needed here to reverse this. Or a Wish or Miracle.) Your backup wizard also lost 1 level.
- You and the backup wizard sustained 2 to 12 hit points of damage.
- You and the backup wizard lost 1 to 6 points of Constitution temporarily (regained at a slow rate given in Secrets of the Magister.)
- The casting of the spell attracted the direct attention of both Mystra and Azuth. If you cast the spell for altruistic reasons, no problem. If not, they killed you and the backup wizard both (no resurrection possible) and took the spell away for good measure.

So, I suppose if you engineered everything just right, you might be able to throw Acererak's Attack, on Oerth (assuming, of course, that you somehow convinced Acererak to teach the spell to you first! :) )

Remove ads